Man injured in Hell’s Kitchen blaze sues for “unsafe conditions”

Fire at 500 West 43rd Street in January 2014 killed one person
January 01, 2017 05:00PM

The fire at 500 West 43rd Street in Hell's Kitchen

The fire at 500 West 43rd Street in Hell’s Kitchen

A man who was injured when a fire tore through a residential skyscraper in Hell’s Kitchen in early 2014 is suing the building’s management.

Edward Singh-Walia, a former resident at the luxury Strand Condominium on West 43rd Street designed by Costas Kondylis, was injured in the January 2014 fire and he has now brought a case to Manhattan Supreme Court, according to the New York Post.

The Hell’s Kitchen high-rise spread due to “dangerous, defective and unsafe conditions,” a new lawsuit alleges, according to the Post. It also alleges that there was a “failure and/or lack of” safety devices.

A faulty Christmas tree wire sparked the deadly blaze in apartment 20-D. Singh-Walia lived a floor above in unit that caught fire. One person was killed in the blaze

The building is owned by an entity called Strand Condo and is managed by First Service Realty. It was developed by Arun Bhatia in the late 1980s. [NYP] Christopher Cameron

Correction: The former resident whose husband was killed in the fire is not the individual who filed suit, as a prior version of this article stated.