Stagg Group to construct 68-unit residential building on vacant Bronx lot

Developer says 70% of units at Bedford Park project will be market-rate

TRD New York /
Jun.June 09, 2017 11:55 AM

The Stagg Group hopes to construct yet another development in the Bronx, filing plans on Friday to construct a mostly market-rate 11-story residential building on a vacant lot.

The project would include 68 units along with a rooftop terrace and recreation space spread across 55,576 square feet, according to filings with the city’s Department of Buildings. The building would be located in Bedford Park at 186 St. Georges Crescent, right between Grand Concourse and the Mosholu Parkway Greenway.

About 70 percent of the apartments in the $9 million project would be market-rate units, with the remaining 30 percent designated as affordable units, according to Stagg Group President Mark Stagg. Construction is expected to begin in the fall.

The Stagg Group, founded in 1966, has several developments in the Bronx and Westchester. The company has recently become well-known for constructing affordable housing in the Bronx and has been one of the most prolific builders in the borough in recent years.

Stagg purchased 186 St. Georges Crescent for approximately $2.5 million in March and said he was motivated to build on the land because his company is also working to construct a much larger project at 150 Van Cortlandt Avenue East, located right next door. That 134,034-square-foot project will include 163 apartments and a 5,000-square-foot community center.

“If it made sense for anyone to develop this piece, it was me,” Stagg said.

(To view more properties owned by the Stagg Group, click here)


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
1065-1075 Gerard Avenue in the Bronx 

Prana pays Related $36M in Bronx multifamily play

Prana pays Related $36M in Bronx multifamily play
448 East 143rd Street in the Bronx (Credit: Google Maps)

Private developer’s NYCHA project in Mott Haven lands $79M in financing

Private developer’s NYCHA project in Mott Haven lands $79M in financing
1159 and 1184 River Avenue with Maddd Equities' Jorge Madruga (left) and Joy Construction's Eli Weiss (right) (Credit: Google Maps)

Maddd Equities, Joy Construction score $64M for massive Bronx project

Maddd Equities, Joy Construction score $64M for massive Bronx project
Vishaan Chakrabarti of Practice for Architecture and Urbanism and Hiten Samtani of The Real Deal (Getty)

Vishaan Chakrabarti on a Manhattan real estate market without private cars

Vishaan Chakrabarti on a Manhattan real estate market without private cars
Vishaan Chakrabarti of Practice for Architecture and Urbanism and Hiten Samtani of The Real Deal (Getty)

The REInterview: What if Manhattan had four Central Parks’ worth of land to play with?

The REInterview: What if Manhattan had four Central Parks’ worth of land to play with?
Social Construct CEO Ben Huh, The Real Deal's Hiten Samtani and Social Construct cofounder Michael Yarne

The REInterview: Social Construct’s founders on making multifamily construction an assembly line

The REInterview: Social Construct’s founders on making multifamily construction an assembly line
2870 Ocean Avenue in Sheepshead Bay (Google Maps)

Chetrit firm to acquire Sheepshead Bay development site

Chetrit firm to acquire Sheepshead Bay development site
Alexandria Real Estate Equities founder Joel Marcus and Alexandria Center for Life Sciences (Getty, Google Maps)

Life-sciences sector proves safe haven for landlords

Life-sciences sector proves safe haven for landlords
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...