Azorim no longer in talks to buy
Brookland stake

One of Israel's largest developers was mulling a 25.5 percent stake in Brookland's parent company

TRD New York /
Jun.June 13, 2017 11:20 AM

Boaz Gilad

Azorim, one of Israel’s largest real estate developers, is no longer in talks to buy a 25.5 percent stake in the parent company of Boaz Gilad’s Brookland Capital, the most prolific builder in Brooklyn.

Filings with the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange show Brookland Capital notified bondholders of the collapse in negotiations on Monday afternoon.

The news comes just a month after Gilad bought out his partner, Assaf Fitoussi, in Brookland Capital, giving Gilad 51 percent control of parent company Brookland Upreal. The other 49 percent is split between investors David Goldberger and Eyal Yagev.

Shortly after Fitoussi’s exit, Israeli publication Globes reported that Azorim was interested in taking a significant stake in Brookland Upreal, but according to Brookland’s Monday filing, “In light of the lack of ability to reach commercial agreements with the partners of [Brookland] Capital, Azorim and Capital decided to stop the negotiation.” According to the terms of the discussions, Azorim would have jointly controlled a 51 percent stake in Brookland Upreal had the deal gone through.

“We couldn’t come to terms with the business conditions to the deal,” Gilad told The Real Deal. “And we part as friends.”

Brookland Capital TRData LogoTINY is the most prolific builder in Brooklyn over the past five years, especially by number of projects. Since 2012, it has begun development on or completed more than 50 buildings, specializing in small condominiums. The company brought in more than $66 million from condo revenue last year, according to bond filings.

Canadian billionaire Hershey Friedman became the majority shareholder of Azorim in 2011, after buying out developer Shaya Boymelgreen. In 2015, Azorim canceled the construction of a Trump-branded tower near Tel Aviv.

(To view properties owned by Brookland Capital, click here)


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
As widespread protests sweep the country, the real estate industry reflects on its decades-long support of the NYPD (Photo illustration by Alexis Manrodt for The Real Deal, Getty, iStock)

As Black Lives Matter protests rage on, NY real estate bleeds blue

As Black Lives Matter protests rage on, NY real estate bleeds blue
Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo (Getty, Paul Dilakian)

Despite looting, NYC reopening on track: Cuomo

Despite looting, NYC reopening on track: Cuomo
Alex Sapir and the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange (Sapir by Clint Spaulding/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images, Jack Guez/AFP)

Sapir Corp goes private as shareholders approve buyout

Sapir Corp goes private as shareholders approve buyout
(Photos by Sylvia Varnham O'Regan, Getty)

After looting, BIDs reverse guidance on boarding up stores

After looting, BIDs reverse guidance on boarding up stores
“5 years ago, people would say, what’s a TikTok?” Bill Rudin on why NYC’s office market may be more resilient than you think

“5 years ago, people would say, what’s a TikTok?” Bill Rudin on why NYC’s office market may be more resilient than you think

“5 years ago, people would say, what’s a TikTok?” Bill Rudin on why NYC’s office market may be more resilient than you think
Clockwise from bottom left: Robert Reffkin of Compass, John Gomes, Scott Rechler of RXR Realty, Rich Barton of Zillow, Gary Keller of Keller Williams and Don Peebles of The Peebles Corporation (Getty)

“America is in crisis:” Real estate leaders address George Floyd protests

“America is in crisis:” Real estate leaders address George Floyd protests
A mass timber project in Cleveland is now under construction and could be the nation’s tallest when completed. Harbor Bay Real Estate Advisors’ Intro development will rise nine stories with 298 residential units (Credit: Harbor Bay Real Estate Advisors)

Mass timber project in Cleveland could be nation’s tallest

Mass timber project in Cleveland could be nation’s tallest
Joy Construction’s Eli Weiss (left), Maddd Equities’ Jorge Madruga (top), and Drew Katz with 20 Bruckner Boulevard in the Bronx (Getty; Google Maps)

“Dream” comes true for long-vacant Bronx ice house

“Dream” comes true for long-vacant Bronx ice house
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...