Minority owner of the Plaza released from detention in Saudi Arabia

The terms of his release remain unclear, though he retains control of his company

TRD New York TRD WEEKEND EDITION /
Jan.January 27, 2018 01:00 PM

From left: Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal and New York’s Plaza Hotel. (Credit: Air Force Senior Master Sgt. Adrian Cadiz and Getty Images)

Prominent Saudi businessman, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, has been released from detention in Riyadh.

Prince Alwaleed, who is a minority owner of the Plaza Hotel and has various other stakes in Western companies ranging from Lyft and Twitter to hotel chains, was detained in November last year in a corruption crackdown ordered by Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who has been leading a series of reforms and changes in the country since ascending to power.

Prince Alwaleed, who was worth as estimated $17 billion at the time, was accused of money laundering, bribery and extortion and detained in the capital’s Ritz-Carlton hotel along with about 200 others.

Subsequent to his detention, Prince Alwaleed’s company, Kingdom Holding, saw its share vales plummet more than 20 percent, amounting in a $2.2 billion loss for the prince’s net worth, according to the New York Times. The stock has since rebounded to about half of its pre-detention value.

As of last week, reports from Bloomberg indicated detainees were beginning to be released as the hotel resumed taking reservations. However, Prince Alwaleed’s release was still under negotiation with reports alleging control of his company could be in the balance. The Wall Street Journal reported Saudi officials demanded $6 billion; officials reported recovering $100 billion from all detainees.

While the precise terms of the prince’s release today are unclear, a Saudi official confirmed Kingdom Holding remains in Prince Alwaleed’s control. The official also told Reuters a financial settlement was reached after the prince admitted to undisclosed “violations.” Hours before his release, the prince maintained his innocence to Reuters and said he was remaining in the hotel voluntarily.[NYT]Erin Hudson


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
445 Fifth Avenue and Harbor Group's Jordan Slone (Google Maps)

Harbor Group sued after defaulting on $40M loan at Midtown retail space

Harbor Group sued after defaulting on $40M loan at Midtown retail space
Governor Andrew Cuomo (Getty; Pixabay)

Landlords, tenants react to Cuomo’s latest eviction ban

Landlords, tenants react to Cuomo’s latest eviction ban
Retail bankruptcies are on pace to surpass those filed in 2010, while store closings have already passed those from 2019, according to a report (Getty)

Retail bankruptcies on pace to rival 2010: report

Retail bankruptcies on pace to rival 2010: report
175 Water Street and Nathan Berman of Metro Loft Management (Berman via CityRealty)

Inside Metro Loft’s new design for 175 Water Street

Inside Metro Loft’s new design for 175 Water Street
A rendering of 121 Morgan Avenue in Bushwick and Benefit Street Partners’ managing director Micah Goodman (Photos via EXR; Benefit Street Partners)

Brooklyn developer duo hit with foreclosure lawsuit

Brooklyn developer duo hit with foreclosure lawsuit
Corey Johnson, Andrew Rigie and Mayor Bill de Blasio (Getty)

Commercial tenant protections get extension from de Blasio

Commercial tenant protections get extension from de Blasio
(iStock)

New York’s law firm leasing volume down by 45%: report

New York’s law firm leasing volume down by 45%: report
A federal judge issued an injunction allowing TikTok to remain in app stores. The company recently signed a major office lease at One Five One in New York (Getty; iStock; Google Maps)

TikTok, savior of NYC’s office market, not yet banned in US

TikTok, savior of NYC’s office market, not yet banned in US
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...