Ashkenazy, Kingdom get extension to close on Plaza deal: sources

The partners missed their June 25 deadline

TRD New York /
Jun.June 26, 2018 04:30 PM

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, Ben Ashkenazy, Subrata Roy and the Plaza Hotel at 768 5th Ave (Credit: Getty Images and Wikipedia)

The Plaza Hotel’s majority owner, Sahara Group, has granted an extension to prospective buyers Ashkenazy Acquisition Corporation and Kingdom Holding Company to close on the purchase of the Manhattan landmark, sources close to the deal told The Real Deal.

The partners, who currently own 25 percent of the hotel, went into contract to buy the remaining 75 percent in May with a June 25 deadline to close. On the verge of missing that deadline, the partners were granted an extension, sources said.

The agreed-upon length of the extension was not immediately clear. David Kriss, a lawyer for Ashkenazy, said the deal is expected to close next week, and another source close to the developer claimed the closing was extended by about three weeks until mid-July. A spokesperson for Sahara could not be reached.

As minority owners, Ashkenazy and Kingdom had the right to match the purchase price offered by external bidders. In May, they equalized a $600 million bid that was made by investors Shahal Khan and Kamran Hakim, but soon after sued Sahara over the deposits it had requested. Attorneys for Ashkenazy and Kingdom declined to comment on the suit.

Sahara has not yet responded to the suit, which was filed in New York State Supreme Court, but is apparently still willing to work with Ashkenazy and Kingdom to close the sale.

That’s not stopping Khan from trying to get back into the mix, however. A source close to Khan’s investment group, Chimera Group, said that as the closing deadline approached Khan’s lawyers were trying to see if Sahara would instead let Khan and Hakim close the deal in cash. The same source said that a loan on the Plaza, which is owned by former Qatari Prime minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani (HBJ), comes due the first week of July. Upon HBJ acquiring the loan in 2017, some speculated that he would put that loan’s value toward a bid to takeover the Plaza with Ashkenazy, as Bloomberg reported.

Earlier this month, Ashkenazy picked up an AMC movie theater on the Upper West Side for $53 million.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
731 Lexington Avenue and 410 East 61st Street (inset) with Vornado's Steve Roth (Googel Maps; VNO)

Home Depot eyes former Bed Bath & Beyond space on First Ave

Home Depot eyes former Bed Bath & Beyond space on First Ave
Ian Schrager and the Pulic Hotel at 215 Chrystie Street (Getty; Google)

$60M mezz loan on Ian Schrager’s Public Hotel is for sale

$60M mezz loan on Ian Schrager’s Public Hotel is for sale
J.C. Penney at the Westfield South Shore mall in Long Island and  J.C. Penney CEO Jill Soltau (Google Maps; Getty)

J.C. Penney to keep Bay Shore outpost open for now

J.C. Penney to keep Bay Shore outpost open for now
Signature Bank CEO Joseph DePaolo and New York Community Bank CEO Joseph Ficalora (Photos via Getty; Facebook; iStock)

NYC’s multifamily lenders see shares tumble in 2020

NYC’s multifamily lenders see shares tumble in 2020
The analysis predicts that office vacancies across the world will continue upward (iStock)

Report: Office market won’t return to glory until 2025

Report: Office market won’t return to glory until 2025
Korean wave pours into U.S. commercial real estate

Korean wave pours into U.S. commercial real estate

Korean wave pours into U.S. commercial real estate
The Martinique hotel (Wikipedia, Google Maps)

Operator of Martinique Hotel in Manhattan files for bankruptcy

Operator of Martinique Hotel in Manhattan files for bankruptcy
CEO Mark Tritton and 410 East 61st Street (Getty, Google Maps)

Bed Bath & Beyond will permanently close UES store

Bed Bath & Beyond will permanently close UES store
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...