City Council and planning department kick can down the road on controversial Two Bridges development

The two sides agreed in court to revisit the issue in February

New York /
Dec.December 08, 2018 06:05 PM

Corey Johnson, Marisa Lago and a rendering of Two Bridges

UPDATED, Dec. 9, 12:50 p.m.: City Council’s temporary restraining order to stop four developers from starting work on a set of resi towers in Two Bridges was not granted.

The order was filed on Friday — the same day as a lawsuit by the City Council and Borough President Gale Brewer against the Department of City Planning, the City Planning Commission and Mayor Bill de Blasio’s administration — claiming the executive branch’s approval of the three-tower project in Two Bridges usurped the Council’s authority over land-use issues.

But the Council and planning department came to an agreement to put a pause on the development until another court hearing in February.

“We are happy our efforts in court on Friday were successful in ensuring that the development will not proceed until the court has an opportunity to hear our case on the merits,” Council Speaker Corey Johnson said in a statement.

The project consists of three towers being developed by four companies: JDS Development’s 1,000-unit rental tower at 247 Cherry Street; L+M Development and CIM Group’s 798-foot tower at 260 South Street; and Starrett Corporation’s 730-foot building at 259 Clinton Street. It was approved earlier in the week.

The court’s refusal to grant the temporary restraining order allows the developers “to move forward with obtaining the preliminary approvals that are necessary before development of the sites,” according to Nicholas Paolucci, a spokesperson from the New York City Law Department in a statement provided to The Real Deal on Saturday.

The Department of City Planning also issued a statement underlining that the developers promised to deliver a combined 700 units of permanent affordable units along with various transit and public infrastructure improvements: “All of that goes away if the development goes away.”

Paolucci said the parties are expected to be back in court in February.

Updated: This story has been updated to include a comment from Corey Johnson.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Daniel Grollo and 106 Central Park South (Photo Illustration by Steven DIlakian for The Real Deal with Getty Images)
Trump Parc condo tied to embattled Australian construction magnate hits market
Trump Parc condo tied to embattled Australian construction magnate hits market
Richard Gere and Ryan Murphy with 81 Lyndel Road (Redfin, Getty)
Celeb buyer of Richard Gere’s Westchester estate revealed
Celeb buyer of Richard Gere’s Westchester estate revealed
From left: Century Development's Group’s George Xu and City/Rybak Development’s Sergey Rybak with 78-29 Austin St./11-36 45 Road
Rybak, Century file to build Queens multifamily projects
Rybak, Century file to build Queens multifamily projects
REAL NY's Louis Adler, Compass' Eugene Litvak, and ROART's Ran Oron with the Milk Factory (REAL New York, Compass, ROART, Milk Factory)
East Williamsburg’s resi market reaches new heights
East Williamsburg’s resi market reaches new heights
Homeward founder Tim Heyl (Homeward, Getty Images)
Power buyer Homeward lays off 20% of staff
Power buyer Homeward lays off 20% of staff
ZappiCo's Jim Zappi and Pocantico Lake (ZappiCo Real Estate Development, Google Maps)
Developer wants 29 waterfront homes; Nimbys want none
Developer wants 29 waterfront homes; Nimbys want none
Miki Naftali with 215 West 84th Street (Getty, Corcoran)
Naftali takes hit in battle with UWS holdout
Naftali takes hit in battle with UWS holdout
Louise Blouin with 366 and 376 Gin Lane (Realtor, Getty)
Art publisher wants $150M for Southampton estate
Art publisher wants $150M for Southampton estate
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...