Developer scraps Staten Island’s Riverside Galleria project

Shopping center from Melohn Properties faced strong opposition from elected officials

TRD NEW YORK /
Jan.January 08, 2019 10:30 AM

A rendering of Riverside Galleria in Staten Island (Credit: Studio V)

Melohn Properties has withdrawn plans for its Riverside Galleria project in the face of opposition from elected officials.

The Staten Island shopping center would have spanned 475,000 square feet and included a waterfront promenade, a movie theater and restaurants with outdoor dining, according to the Staten Island Advance. Borough President James Oddo and Council Member Joseph Borelli pulled their support for the idea last year largely because of the traffic plan, and Melohn withdrew its application following this.

STUDIO V Architecture is designing the project, and company founder Jay Valgora told the Advance the company is looking into other commercial uses for the site that take feedback from elected officials and community members into account.

“We are looking at a variety of commercial uses that are very standard for that area and allowable under the existing zoning,” he said. “…The site is very large, very prominent, has excellent frontage, and is quite beautiful the way it sits on the water, but we are looking at completely different solutions.”

This is at least the second major Staten Island project to be canceled in the last few months, as plans for the beleaguered New York Wheel were officially scrapped in October. [SI Advance] – Eddie Small


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
133-25 37th Avenue in Flushing

Developer Gary Tsan buys Flushing property for $60M

South Carolina town puts moratorium on development (Credit: iStock)

The high cost of low taxes: South Carolina town bans all development for 16 months

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Staten Island (Credit: Getty Images)

Amazon inks massive lease for Staten Island warehouse

U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sunnyside Yards (inset) (Credit: Getty Images and Wikipedia)

AOC resigns from Queens megadevelopment steering committee

Donald Trump with Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II, Rep. Ron Kind and Sen. Cory Booker (Credit: Getty Images, iStock)

Trump’s Opportunity Zone program is under investigation

The agreement was signed today at UBC’s New York Council offices in Manhattan by Nathan Blecharczyk, Airbnb co-founder, Chief Strategy Officer, and Frank Spencer, General Vice President of UBC.

Airbnb hammers out partnership with carpenters’ union

Fotis Dulos (AP Images/ Erik Trautmann)

Connecticut developer Fotis Dulos charged with murder

Pier 40 and Gov. Andrew Cuomo (Credit: Wikipedia and Getty Images)

Cuomo kills Pier 40 redevelopment plan

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...