Stayin’ Alive: Plans for the Brooklyn-Queens streetcar are inching forward

City officials approved a key contract for the project on Wednesday

TRD NEW YORK /
Feb.February 06, 2019 11:00 AM

Renderings of the Brooklyn-Queens Connector (Credit: BQX)

The city is clearing the path for the $2.7 billion Brooklyn-Queens Connector to move forward, albeit slowly.

Members of the Economic Development Corporation were expected to approve a contract for a consultant that would oversee the environmental review for the light-rail project on Wednesday, according to the Wall Street Journal. The contract went through at 10 a.m., and the land-use and planning consultant VHB was awarded it for up to $7.2 million.

The contract should allow the environmental review for the streetcar to be finished in spring 2020, clearing the way for a land-use review to be finished by the end of 2021.

City officials unveiled the streetcar plan in 2016, and it has had a rocky rollout since then. Last year, they indicated that the project would have a shorter route and be more expensive than previously expected, and the project’s former director Adam Giambrone stepped down in October.

The streetcar will also need roughly $1 billion in federal funding, and construction will not start until 2024, two years after Mayor Bill de Blasio’s term ends.

Outgoing Deputy Mayor Alicia Glen told the Journal that the city remained committed to the project.

“For some reason, everybody thinks we are not serious, but we have always been serious,” she said. “The mayor wouldn’t have re-endorsed and announced we were moving forward if we weren’t moving forward.” [WSJ] – Eddie Small


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
133-25 37th Avenue in Flushing

Developer Gary Tsan buys Flushing property for $60M

South Carolina town puts moratorium on development (Credit: iStock)

The high cost of low taxes: South Carolina town bans all development for 16 months

U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sunnyside Yards (inset) (Credit: Getty Images and Wikipedia)

AOC resigns from Queens megadevelopment steering committee

Donald Trump with Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II, Rep. Ron Kind and Sen. Cory Booker (Credit: Getty Images, iStock)

Trump’s Opportunity Zone program is under investigation

The agreement was signed today at UBC’s New York Council offices in Manhattan by Nathan Blecharczyk, Airbnb co-founder, Chief Strategy Officer, and Frank Spencer, General Vice President of UBC.

Airbnb hammers out partnership with carpenters’ union

Fotis Dulos (AP Images/ Erik Trautmann)

Connecticut developer Fotis Dulos charged with murder

Pier 40 and Gov. Andrew Cuomo (Credit: Wikipedia and Getty Images)

Cuomo kills Pier 40 redevelopment plan

CW Realty’s Cheskie Weisz  and a rendering of 251 Front Street (Credit: CW Realty and Think Architecture and Design via New York YIMBY)

CW Realty plans luxury rental at controversial Vinegar Hill site

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...