The Real Deal New York

Another tenant from last year’s Harlem fire is suing the landlord

Curu Necos-Boice is seeking unspecified damages
March 07, 2019 09:30AM

773 St. Nicholas Avenue and the fire from last March (inset) (Credit: Google Maps and Imgur)

A rent-stabilized tenant at the Harlem building that caught fire while it was being used as a movie set is taking legal action.

Photographer Curu Necos-Bloice is suing the landlord and the movie company, the New York Post reported. In his Manhattan civil suit, he claims that the fire destroyed the rent-stabilized home he lived in since 1998 and that he’s been living in emergency housing since.

The blaze — which occurred last March and killed a firefighter — broke out during the filming of an upcoming Edward Norton movie, “Motherless Brooklyn,” at 773 St. Nicholas Avenue. Necos-Bloice, who lived in 2R, said he was home the night of the fire and didn’t get a response from landlord Vincent Sollazzo.

“When representatives of Defendant Class 5 became aware of the fire, they did not warn the tenants in the building; in fact, they misled the tenants into believing there was no fire,” the suit says. “Plaintiff did not take any belongings from the Apartment as he was misled by the representatives of Defendant Class 5 saying there was no fire. As a result of the fire, plaintiff’s Apartment was completely destroyed.”

Neco-Bloice, who’s seeking unspecified damages, said his belongings were destroyed and he the only thing he could save were his sister’s ashes.

Other tenants of the building have also sued. Erica and George Cruz filed their own $5 million lawsuit — and firefighter Michael Davidson’s widow, Eileen, filed a wrongful death suit against Sollazzo and Class 5 Inc. in August. [NYP] — Meenal Vamburkar