Robert Durst faces another lawsuit over the disappearance of his first wife

The suit alleges his “crime family” helped cover up her murder

TRD New York /
Mar.March 25, 2019 03:00 PM

Robert Durst (Credit: Getty Images)

Robert Durst killed his first wife and used his family to cover it up, a new Manhattan lawsuit alleges.

The wrongful death complaint says that Durst’s wife Kathie sought to expose illegal business the family’s real estate company had been involved with. That led Seymour Durst, his wealthy father, to warn that his son’s wife “was a threat to the family’s business and directed Durst to take care of this problem,” the New York Post reported.

The lawsuit was filed in Manhattan Supreme Court on Friday by Kathie’s sister, Carol Bamonte. It alleges that Seymour, other relatives and people linked to the Durst Organization “conspired to protect [Robert] Durst and The Durst Organization from any connection to Kathie’s disappearance and murder.”

The suit is seeking unspecified damages. The complaint further accuses the family members of being “accessories after the fact” and said they helped create “a false alibi.”

“The accusations are fiction, and this is a lawyer’s attempt to make a buck,” Durst family spokesman Jordan Barowitz told the Post. “Unfortunately, Robert’s mendacity has left a trail of heartbreak, grief and broken lives.”

Robert is scheduled to stand trial in Los Angeles this year for allegedly killing his friend Susan Berman in 2000. Prosecutors allege he killed after she threatened to reveal information about the 1982 disappearance of his first wife, Kathleen Durst. He was arrested in New Orleans in 2015. [NYP] — Meenal Vamburkar


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Book Culture at 450 Columbus Avenue (Credit: Google Maps)

Upper West Side bookstore closes amid accusations of fraud

Firefighters work to extinguish a fire as a building burns after an explosion on 2nd Avenue in March 26, 2015 (Credit: Getty Images)

$24K in rent set in motion the fatal 2015 East Village blast. Prison now looms for the landlord and contractors

Donald Trump with Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II, Rep. Ron Kind and Sen. Cory Booker (Credit: Getty Images, iStock)

Trump’s Opportunity Zone program is under investigation

Harry and Linda Macklowe (Credit: Getty Images, iStock)

The Macklowes’ massive art collection nears auction

Heritage Equity Partners Toby Moskovits and Michael Lichtenstein

Lawsuit: Toby Moskovits, Michael Lichtenstein owe investor $3M

250 Fort Washington Ave and 310 Convent Avenue with Housing Rights Initiative’s Aaron Carr (Credit: iStock, Facebook, Google Maps)

Two more rent-overcharge lawsuits get class-action status

1074 Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn (Credit: Google Maps)

Crown Heights tenants sue infamous landlord for rent overcharges

Rent overcharge claims against landlords are on the rise (Credit: iStock)

Rent overcharge cases pile up

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...