IWG, Instant Group creating flex office space giant

WeWork rival investing $350M into online marketplace venture

New York /
Mar.March 15, 2022 10:15 AM

Tim Rodber, chief executive officer, Instant Group (Instant Group, iStock)

A flex office operator is poised to seize on rising interest in alternative office arrangements with a deal establishing the dominant player in the online listing marketplace.

IWG is investing about $350 million into the venture with office listing service Instant Group. The Wall Street Journal reported the two companies are aiming to create the world’s largest online marketplace for flexible office space.

The new venture will allow tenants to find and book spaces, including offices managed by the likes of IWG and WeWork, hotel meeting rooms and vacant corporate office space. The Journal reported that under the deal merging IWG’s digital offerings with the Instant Group, the Switzerland-based firm is set to own 85 percent of the business, while Instant management will own the remaining 15 percent.

A big portion of IWG’s investment in the business was used to buy out Bowmark Capital, the private equity firm behind Instant Group. The companies plan to take the business public within the next two year; Instant Group CEO Tim Rodber will helm the online marketplace business, which will also offer software to aid companies managing remote workers.

Demand for flexible office space and hybrid work arrangements are on the rise since the onset of the pandemic. A survey by JLL found 41 percent of office tenants expected to increase use of flexible office space due to the pandemic, which the Journal noted as a rise from 29 percent recorded in a 2020 survey.

IWG CEO Mark Dixon told the Journal he believes the swell of interest means the timing is right for the online venture.

“Many have tried, but here we start off with a very strong position at the right time in the market, we believe,” Dixon said, according to the Journal.

IWG has previously shown its confidence in the flexible office market with new locations opened last year in New York. The company had plans for three new hubs in the city last year, including a 58,000-square-foot space at 250 Park Avenue.

Meanwhile, the most well-known player in the flexible office space, WeWork, saw its losses narrow in the fourth quarter and its revenue climbed by more than $50 million. The company expects $4 billion in revenue in 2022.

[WSJ] — Holden Walter-Warner





    Related Articles

    arrow_forward_ios
    (photos by Joe Lovinger/The Real Deal)
    Day 2 of ICSC: Retailers button up to network, prep for uncertain future
    Day 2 of ICSC: Retailers button up to network, prep for uncertain future
    Boston Properties' Hilary Spann and Eldridge CEO Todd Boehly in front of 767 Fifth Avenue (Boston Properties, Eldridge, Google Maps)
    Firm ditches Park Ave for entire floor of GM Building
    Firm ditches Park Ave for entire floor of GM Building
    Adam Neumann with 515 West Avenue (Wikipedia, Realtor, iStock)
    No buzz, but Adam Neumann will take the $293M
    No buzz, but Adam Neumann will take the $293M
    Photo illustration depicting landlords being outearned by their lenders (iStock)
    More multifamily landlords are making less than their lenders
    More multifamily landlords are making less than their lenders
    RFR's Aby Rosen and 285 Madison Avenue (RFR, iStock)
    RFR seeks extension on 285 Madison loan
    RFR seeks extension on 285 Madison loan
    HNA Group's Guoqing Chen (left), SL Green CEO Marc Holliday (right), and 245 Park Avenue (SL Green, World Travel & Tourism Council - via Wikimedia Commons, LoopNet)
    HNA must pay SL Green fat sum over 245 Park Avenue
    HNA must pay SL Green fat sum over 245 Park Avenue
    Mayor Eric Adams and Extell's Gary Barnett (Photos by Paul Dilakian)
    Real estate’s titans talk building, selling, and reinventing the city
    Real estate’s titans talk building, selling, and reinventing the city
    ICSC at Las Vegas (photos by Joe Lovinger and Suzannah Cavanaugh/The Real Deal)
    “Hot girl real estate” reigns at ICSC, Covid be damned
    “Hot girl real estate” reigns at ICSC, Covid be damned
    arrow_forward_ios

    The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

    Loading...