Loyola University plans 402-bed dorm on lakefront campus

The St. Joseph Hall project would house sophomores and free up space for freshmen and upperclassmen on campus

TRD CHICAGO /
Oct.October 24, 2018 01:00 PM

Rendering of the building and Loyola President Jo Ann Rooney

Loyola University plans to build a new eight-story, 402-bed residence hall on its lakefront campus.

The university has applied for a building permit for the new construction at 6314 North Winthrop Avenue.

A Loyola spokesperson said the dorm will be called St. Joseph Hall and feature suite-style rooms to accommodate university sophomores. It also would open up other spots for more juniors and seniors who want to stay on campus, and alleviate overcrowding in freshman dorm rooms.

The new building would feature suites of two dorm rooms with a shared bathroom. The individual dorm rooms would be for one or two students each.

In total, the building would house 388 students, 13 resident assistants and a spiritual adviser, the spokesperson said.

A university official told the Loyola Phoenix student newspaper the project has a budget of $47 million. It would require the demolition of a Loyola-owned apartment building and a single-family home, the paper said.

Pending city approvals, work on the project would start in February and would be done in time for the 2020-21 school year.

The university earlier this year started construction on the $15.5 million Alfie Norville Practice Facility at 1107 West Loyola Avenue, just a few months after the men’s basketball team made a historic run in the NCAA Final Four. The three-story building will include basketball and volleyball courts, among other features.

The area around the campus has seen its share of construction as well, with developers launching several projects in Rogers Park and Edgewater.