601W Companies lands $310M loan for 1 South Wacker purchase, renovation

Chicago /
Dec.December 18, 2018 04:04 PM

1 South Wacker Drive (Credit: iStock)

601W Companies secured a $310 million loan for its acquisition and planned overhaul of 1 South Wacker, The Real Deal has learned.

Blackstone Group provided the financing for the 1.2 million-square-foot office tower. News of the New York firm’s plan to buy the 40-story building from Manulife John Hancock for $310 million surfaced in September.

The deal on the 36-year-old tower officially closed last week, according to Cook County records.

Roughly 70 percent of the Blackstone loan went to the acquisition, with the remaining 30 percent — $93 million — earmarked for improvements, said 601W Principal Mark Karasick.

The building is nearly 25 percent vacant, well above the average vacancy rate for Downtown and up from nearly 15 percent when Manulife bought it in 2015.

“We’ve got a lot of leasing to do,” he said.

601W plans a number of changes to tenant amenities, including an updated lounge and conference center. The biggest and most expensive project will be replacing the tinted glass that is part of the Helmut Jahn-designed facade, which Karasick said would likely be unpopular with potential tenants.

“We’re going to make it more light-friendly,” he added.

601W has embarked on similar facelifts at other Chicago properties, including Prudential Plaza, which it sold earlier this year to Chicago developer Sterling Bay for $680 million.

601W is also in the middle of a $185 million overhaul at the Aon Center that includes plans for an exterior elevator and observatory.

Its biggest reclamation project in Chicago is the ongoing conversion of the hulking, long-vacant Old Main Post Office into 2.8 million square feet of new office space.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Liberty Mutual at 27201 Bella Vista in Warrenville (Google Maps)

Chicago’s Q3 suburban office market hits highest vacancy in decade

Chicago’s Q3 suburban office market hits highest vacancy in decade
Mayor Lori Lightfoot (Getty, iStock)

Lightfoot to propose $94M property tax hike

Lightfoot to propose $94M property tax hike
Brian Whiting, CEO of Telos Group, and the Old Post Office (Credit: Google Maps)

Lonely at the top: 601W Cos. opens Old Post Office rooftop park in WFH world

Lonely at the top: 601W Cos. opens Old Post Office rooftop park in WFH world
Cars.com CEO Alex Vetter and the building (Credit: Google Maps)

Cars.com wants to shrink its space at West Loop HQ

Cars.com wants to shrink its space at West Loop HQ
Thor Equities’ Joseph Sitt and Palmer House Hilton at 17 East Monroe Street (Google Maps)

Thor’s Palmer House hit with $300M+ foreclosure suit

Thor’s Palmer House hit with $300M+ foreclosure suit
Cook County Assessor Fritz Kaegi and downtown Evanston

Cook County landlords get bad news about 2020 taxes

Cook County landlords get bad news about 2020 taxes
Joe Sitt and 905 W. Fulton Market (Credit: Thor Equities)

Thor Equities’ big bet on Fulton Market is paying off

Thor Equities’ big bet on Fulton Market is paying off
Ald. Walter Burnett (27th)

Alderman Burnett to lift ban on resi development in Fulton Market

Alderman Burnett to lift ban on resi development in Fulton Market
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...