Existing U.S. home sales are up for second month in a row

Growth points to a strong job market, but prices continue to climb

TRD LOS ANGELES /
May.May 20, 2016 10:30 AM

Home sweet home, America.

Fueled by flourishing job growth and persistently low interest rates, home sales across the country rose for the second month in a row in April.

From March to April, the number of sales of existing homes grew by 1.7 percent, exceeding the anticipated increase of 1.3 percent, the Wall Street Journal reported. By the end of the year, economists anticipate the overall pace to reach 3 percent.

Sales were exceptionally strong in the Midwest, which saw a 12.1 percent increase from the prior month.

Sales rose to seasonally adjusted annual rate of about 5.5 million, according to the National Association of Realtors. All the while, inventory was down compared to the period last year. More than 2 million homes were available for sale by late April — up 9.2 percent from March — but down 3.6 percent compared to April 2015.

However, supply may be on its way. Single-family home construction was up more than 3 percent in April.

Meanwhile, home prices remain on an upward trajectory. In April, median sale price for a previously owned home was $232,500 — 6.3 percent more expensive than last year, and marking the 50th straight month of year-over-year gains.

The low supply is what led to rising home prices, Lawrence Yun, NAR’s chief economist, told the Journal, and the “tight inventory conditions still persist.” [WSJ]Cathaleen Chen


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
NAR CEO Bob Goldberg (iStock)

NAR pockets win in resi listings antitrust case

NAR pockets win in resi listings antitrust case
An illustration of Jeanne Radsick and 525 S. Virgil Avenue (Credit: Google Maps)

California Association of Realtors’ new role? Mixed-use developer

California Association of Realtors’ new role? Mixed-use developer
Gary Gold, Paul George, Deandre Jordan, Jeff Bezos, and Garrett Camp (Credit: Getty Images, Flickr, Hilton & Hyland, Google Maps, Realtor, Pinterest, and iStock)

Long live NAR: Agents won’t defy powerful trade group in pocket listings spat

Long live NAR: Agents won’t defy powerful trade group in pocket listings spat
Home bidding wars cool a bit nationwide (Credit: iStock)

Fewer LA buyers willing to pay above ask these days

Fewer LA buyers willing to pay above ask these days
The median sales price inched up less than one percent last quarter to $1.51 million from $1.5 million a year prior (Credit: iStock)

In wealthy Los Angeles, home sales are up. But prices aren’t

In wealthy Los Angeles, home sales are up. But prices aren’t
Ryan Davis and Ben Bacal with Stanley Mosk Courthouse (Credit: Facebook, Compass, Wikipedia)

An escalation in the 7-year-old Bacal/Davis commission dispute

An escalation in the 7-year-old Bacal/Davis commission dispute
A 24,000-square-foot home in Beverly Hills Post Office

Luxury market rebounds in some LA submarkets, while median home sales hit record

Luxury market rebounds in some LA submarkets, while median home sales hit record
Los Angeles homes (Credit: iStock)

SoCal home-buying saw most active July in 4 years amid falling mortgage rates

SoCal home-buying saw most active July in 4 years amid falling mortgage rates
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...