A 1920s-era power plant substation turned live/work gallery space in Lincoln Heights has hit the market for $12.5 million.
The Art Deco industrial property, built for the Edison Electric Company in 1922, was completely overhauled by Roto Architects in 1997. It was famously used as Uneeda Medical Supply in the 1985 horror movie “Return of the Living Dead.”
The building is known as the Carlson-Reges House for its former owner Kathleen Reges and her estranged husband, Richard Carlson, who developed a former brewery on the grounds into a 300-unit loft complex for artists. Reges, an art collector, was well know for breeding wide-haired fox terrier show dogs, while Carlson was an industrial demolition contractor.
Reges died in 2005.
The abstract property, at 698 Moulton Avenue, is recognizable for its stacked steel trusses, prefab staircases and curved decking. It totals 4,407 square feet and has three bedrooms and three bathrooms as well as a ground floor gallery and a second floor entertainment space. The penthouse bedroom suite overlooks the main rail yards of Downtown, according to the Zillow listing.
Two cylindrical tanks, formerly used to store gasoline, were modified to create a swimming pool, according to the architect’s website.
Leonard Pate, a trustee for the owner, was not immediately available for comment.