Homeless housing high-rise: renderings reveal Weingart Center Skid Row project

Two 19-story towers would rise at the intersection of Sixth and San Pedro Street

TRD LOS ANGELES /
Oct.October 31, 2017 10:00 AM
Rendering of Weingart Center’s proposed towers (Credit: JWDA)

The Weingart Center’s plan to build over 1,000 units of permanent supportive and affordable housing is inching ahead.

The homeless service provider tapped developer Chelsea Investment Corp. to build two affordable housing structures on Skid Row near the intersection of 6th and San Pedro streets, Urbanize reported. Plans for the project first emerged in February.

The development would replace a city-owned parking lot and several small commercial buildings already owned by the Weingart Center. It acquired the main parcel from the state of California in 2012 for $850,000, property records show.

Designed by Joseph Wong Design Associates, the renderings propose two modern 19-story structures featuring open-air decks, ground-floor commercial space, and abundant green space. On-site supportive service, recreation and fitness facilities, 24-hour security and multipurpose area will also be included in the complex, according to the Weingart website.

An initial phase of the project would create 278 rental units – 80 percent of which would serve as permanent supportive housing with the remaining 20 percent devoted to affordable housing – in a 210,000-square-foot building. Out of the 278 units, 228 will be efficiency units and 50 will be one-bedroom units. The first phase is expected to be completed in 2021. [Urbanize]Natalie Hoberman


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
City Controller Ron Galperin( Credit: Ron Galperin/Wikipedia)

LA controller finds just 228 homeless housing units built with $1.2B bond

LA controller finds just 228 homeless housing units built with $1.2B bond
The coronavirus pandemic could worsen California’s affordable housing crisis

COVID-19 exposes the utter dysfunction plaguing affordable housing development in California

COVID-19 exposes the utter dysfunction plaguing affordable housing development in California
From left: Neil Shekhter and Governor Gavin Newsom (Credit: Kevin Scanlon, Justin Sullivan/Getty Images, and iStock)

Tenant group calls for CA rent strike

Tenant group calls for CA rent strike
Skid Row Housing Trust CEO Lee Raagas and a rendering of the project (Credit: Michael Maltzan Architecture via Urbanize)

Skid Row Housing Trust, Michael Maltzan Architecture plan mass-timber housing tower

Skid Row Housing Trust, Michael Maltzan Architecture plan mass-timber housing tower
Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer (Credit: iStock)

City Attorney Mike Feuer will run for mayor. Here’s what it means for LA real estate

City Attorney Mike Feuer will run for mayor. Here’s what it means for LA real estate
Hobart Garden Apartments at 1344 N Hobart Boulevard (Credit: Google Maps)

Reiner Communities pays $48M for 142-unit East Hollywood complex

Reiner Communities pays $48M for 142-unit East Hollywood complex
Steve Ballmer, Mayor James Butts and the Forum (Credit: Jeff Gross/Getty Images, Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images for WE Day, and Ritapepaj/Wikipedia)

Clippers could sail into Inglewood buoyed by Ballmer’s billions

Clippers could sail into Inglewood buoyed by Ballmer’s billions
From left: Renderings of La Veranda and The Chesterfield (Credit: Abode Communities/Urbanize)

Developers land $43M to construct affordable housing projects across LA County

Developers land $43M to construct affordable housing projects across LA County
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...