Appeals court breathes new life into half-built Target in Hollywood

The site has been saddled with legal battles since 2012

TRD LOS ANGELES /
Aug.August 24, 2018 08:00 AM
Target and Robert Silverstein

A long-stymied Target store project in East Hollywood may finally be completed.

A California appeals court reversed a Superior Court decision Thursday, paving the way for construction of the half-finished building at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Western Avenue to restart, Curbed reported.

The retail property has been embroiled in a legal battle since 2012, when local residents sued the city for allowing a project that was denser than what the city code permitted.

The La Mirada Neighborhood Association, represented by well-known attorney Robert Silverstein, said the city did not fully study the effects of the new zoning laws it created to allow the 74-foot-tall project in an area where heights are capped at 35 feet. A judge sided with the association and ordered the development to stop construction in 2014.

In 2016, the City Council passed a new law that increased the height limits in the neighborhood. But La Mirada sued again, successfully stopping construction of the Target once more.

The Second Appellate District Court of Appeals now says the city properly studied the effects of a larger Target. In a statement, Council member Mitch O’Farrell said the “long, unfortunate saga” can now come to a close.

Silverstein is best known for representing preservationists and activist groups in their fight against developers and city officials. His victories against large development projects has earned him the reputation of a NIMBY, even leading some developers to “quake in their boots” when they hear his name, The Real Deal previously reported. 

Earlier this week, city officials sided with developers on another project in Hollywood. A Los Angeles City Council committee voted against landmarking four properties that stand in the way of the Crossroads of the World mega-project, allowing the redevelopment to inch forward.

Neighborhood residents and preservationists have become powerful opponents of new development, utilizing landmark applications and lawsuits as a means to thwart new projects.

They have also been criticized by developers who contend the groups exploit relatively loose rules for protecting designated sites, TRD found in a recent analysis. [Curbed] — Natalie Hoberman


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Architect Simon Park and a rendering of the project (Credit: SSPSTUDIO ARCHITECTURE & URBAN DESIGN)

Boyle Heights slated for another mixed-use project

Monica Rodriguez orchestrated the nixing of a residential project set for the Verdugo Hills Golf Course (Credit: Google Maps, Wikipedia)

The threat of fire doomed this Tujunga resi project. Now the developer will sue

6550 South Normandie Avenue (Credit: Google Maps)

Haroni Investments to turn parking lot into new apartments

Council President Herb Wesson and a rendering of District Square

City will draw up “anti-displacement zone” ordinance

4Site Real Estate’s Todd Wexman and the entryway at the Cha Cha Cha condo building

“A slap in the face”: LA developer criticized for condo project name

Governor Gavin Newsom and Senator Nancy Skinner (Credit: Getty Images and iStock)

Developers rejoice: Newest state law aims to boost housing production

Assemblyman David Chiu and Gov. Gavin Newsom (Credit: Wikipedia and iStock)

California passes landmark rent control law

Ron Galperin and an overview of LA (Credit: iStock)

LA owns thousands of properties, many of them vacant. LA’s controller has an idea to spur development

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...