Hudson Pacific considers $250M stock buyback

Move would be a way to increase the firm’s public valuation

TRD LOS ANGELES /
Nov.November 01, 2018 03:30 PM
Victor Coleman, Epic and Icon buildings

Hudson Pacific Properties could buy back as much as $250 million worth of its outstanding stock as early as next week.

In an earnings call Thursday, Victor Coleman, HPP Chairman and CEO, said the firm had already received board approval for the repurchase.

A stock buyback on the open market would drive up the company’s stock price, which is currently trading at about $30 per share.

Coleman said HPP is “keenly aware of a disconnect between private and public valuations.” The firm is currently trading at a 30 percent discount, “much wider than its peer set,” an analyst from Citigroup noted.

“From a valuation standpoint, we are hurting dramatically in the public markets,” Coleman said. “That does not go unnoticed in this company or private investors. We performed poorly this year, and we’re not happy about it.”

The company has a market cap of roughly $4.7 billion.

Otherwise, the firm had a strong quarter overall. While revenue decreased to $180.7 million, a 4.9 percent drop from the same time last year, net income rose 57 percent to $17.4 million, from $11.1 million.

HPP closed 1.2 million square feet of office leases, a quarterly record for the company. It also sold the remaining properties of the San Mateo Office Park for $210 million.

In Los Angeles, the firm’s headquarters, the company closed its largest and third-largest leases this quarter. Netflix inked the largest deal, leasing all 302,000 square feet of commercial space at the Epic building until 2031. Hudson also signed Honey to its Fourth & Traction redevelopment in the Arts District, reflecting the third largest deal this quarter.

On the Westside, Hudson said it is making progress on securing entitlements for the redevelopment of the Westside Pavilion, a project slated to bring 500,000 square feet of new office space. The firm also said it has received interest from several tenants considering full or partial uses.

Hudson also completed its acquisition of the ground lease of the historic Ferry Building in San Francisco this quarter, adding a fully leased property to its portfolio. Hudson took a 55 percent stake in the deal, while Germany-based Allianz claimed the remaining 45 percent stake.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Bob Iger, Reed Hastings and (clockwise from top left) Sunset Las Palmas, Sunset Bronson and Sunset Gower Studios (Getty, Google Maps)

TRD Insights: Here’s what Netflix, Disney and CBS pay at HPP-Blackstone Hollywood studios

TRD Insights: Here’s what Netflix, Disney and CBS pay at HPP-Blackstone Hollywood studios
Photo illustration of Hudson Pacific Properties CEO Victor Coleman and Blackstone Group President Jonathan Gray (Coleman by Rich Polk/Getty; Gray by Drew Angerer/Getty; Top Gun by Paramount Pictures/Sunset Boulevard/Corbis/Getty)

Inside Hudson Pacific and Blackstone’s field of streams

Inside Hudson Pacific and Blackstone’s field of streams
Hudson Pacific Properties CEO Victor Coleman (Illustration of Victor Coleman by The Real Deal; iStock; Coleman via Hudson Pacific)

Hudson Pacific is effusive about Blackstone deal, defensive about office space

Hudson Pacific is effusive about Blackstone deal, defensive about office space
An illustration of Jon Gray and Victor Coleman

Blackstone nears $1.4B deal with HPP to build out production studios

Blackstone nears $1.4B deal with HPP to build out production studios
First District Supervisor Hilda Solis (Credit: Rebecca Sapp/Getty Images)

LA County select reopening target date for restaurants and retailers

LA County select reopening target date for restaurants and retailers
Eric Garcetti orders a moratorium on LA commercial evictions (Photo credit: iStock photo)

Garcetti orders a moratorium on commercial evictions in LA

Garcetti orders a moratorium on commercial evictions in LA
Hudson Pacific Properties and American Homes for Rent cancel plans to attend Citi 2020 Global Property meet up (Credit: iStock)

Coronavirus fears hit California CRE: Bigwigs ditch Florida property conference

Coronavirus fears hit California CRE: Bigwigs ditch Florida property conference
LA promo

Coming Soon: The Real Deal Los Angeles’ Winter 2020 issue!

Coming Soon: The Real Deal Los Angeles’ Winter 2020 issue!
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...