Amid decline, LA still leads CA in hotel development: report

But new hotel rooms in LA declined 65 percent from 2017

Los Angeles /
Jan.January 28, 2019 04:00 PM
Palihouse lobby, West Hollywood (Credit: Booking.com)

Los Angeles County is leading the state in hotel development by a landslide.

A new report from Atlas Hospitality Group revealed there are 6,727 rooms under construction in the county, double the amount in Santa Clara County up north, which ranked second.

More hotel rooms also opened in L.A. County last year than anywhere else in California. In 2018, 11 new hotels with a combined 1,526 rooms opened. San Diego followed with 1,224 rooms.

Overall, there are 203 hotels with 29,114 rooms under construction in the state. There were 52 new hotels with 6,592 rooms that opened in 2018.

Yet, despite ranking first in many categories, L.A. is showing signs of a slowdown in its hotel construction boom.

The number of hotel rooms dropped 65 percent from 4,309 rooms in 2017 to 1,526 rooms in 2018, according to the report.

Hotel transactions also dropped 4 percent year over year to 48 trades, while total-dollar volume decreased 14 percent to $1.4 billion in 2018. Still, hotels are increasingly expensive in the area — the county’s median price per room increased nearly 18 percent to $11.8 million.

The Doubletree Westside in Culver City, Hotel MdR in Marina del Rey and Palihouse West Hollywood are among the most expensive hotels to have traded last year, The Real Deal previously reported.

Developers remain active, too. There are about 250 hotels with 39,974 rooms in various stages of planning in the county, up 19 percent from 2017.

Yet previous reports from Atlas estimate that only about a quarter of those may get completed. A report last January from the hotel brokerage firm estimated that around 10,000 new hotel rooms would come online in L.A. in the next few years — even though 33,500 hotel rooms had been proposed.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Mayfair hotel at 1256 West 7th Street (TripAdvisor, Getty)
ICO wants $70M for shuttered Mayfair hotel in DTLA
ICO wants $70M for shuttered Mayfair hotel in DTLA
LVMH's Bernard Arnault, Beverly Hills mayor Lili Bosse and rendering of Cheval Blanc (Lili Bosse, LVHM, Peter Marino Architect, Getty)
Beverly Hills City Council approves Rodeo Drive hotel
Beverly Hills City Council approves Rodeo Drive hotel
The Clark Hotel, Vacant
Chetrit’s Clark Hotel faces rare public criticism
Chetrit’s Clark Hotel faces rare public criticism
Initiative to decide whether LA hotels should house the homeless
Voters to decide whether LA hotels should house the homeless
Voters to decide whether LA hotels should house the homeless
Midwood CEO John Usdan  and a rendering of  Sportsmen’s Lodge hotel (Midwood, Kilograph)
Sportsmen’s Lodge Hotel redevelopment catches environmental endorsement
Sportsmen’s Lodge Hotel redevelopment catches environmental endorsement
Matthew Baron and The Cecil Hotel; in background, California State Assemblymember Miguel Santiago, Baron and Kevin De León, an L.A. City Councilmember (Baron Property Group)
Will Cecil Hotel’s troubled history end in full occupancy?
Will Cecil Hotel’s troubled history end in full occupancy?
Hotels in California (iStock)
California hotel developers scale back on construction
California hotel developers scale back on construction
LVMH CEO Bernard Arnault along with a rendering of Cheval Blanc (LVMH, City of Beverly Hills Planning Division)
LVMH gets go ahead for hotel on Rodeo Drive
LVMH gets go ahead for hotel on Rodeo Drive
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...