New private equity fund enters market

Miami /
Feb.February 01, 2010 01:55 PM

From the New York Web site: Amidst harsh credit requirements and financial uncertainty, some smaller entities are trying to gain market share by offering instant liquidity for perplexed borrowers.

A good technique, according to Mark Bahiri, managing partner at the new Emerald Creek Capital, is to be quick when analyzing and finalizing loan deals. To that end, Bahiri and Mark Penna of asset management firm Neuberger Berman launched a private equity fund “to try and capitalize on the lack of liquidity in the marketplace,” he said. “Banks just stopped lending and we’re seeing a lot of opportunities out there.”

Bahiri, who formerly worked at Madison Realty Capital, opened Emerald Creek Capital last October. The direct bridge lender has nine full time employees, and provides anywhere from $1 million to $20 million in loans with a 10 to 13 percent interest rate. Emerald secures it with a first lien position.

Since its inception, the firm has done three deals — one in Long Island, one outside New Haven and one in Texas, plus a deal in the works in Atlanta, Ga.

With the Connecticut deal, Bahiri said his national firm, based at One Penn Plaza in Manhattan, fielded a call from a borrower who had more than 60 percent of the $2.8 million purchase price for a 50,000-square-foot shopping center, but was unable to come up with the other 40 percent. The buyer was nine days away from losing his 10 percent deposit when Emerald put in the rest to make the deal happen.

“I got into the car the next day, saw the property, got an idea of the general value and got the deal approved within a week,” Bahiri said.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Ricardo Vadia, Jon Paul Perez, and Oscar Rodriguez with District 225
Developers score $76M construction loan for Airbnb-branded condos in downtown Miami
Developers score $76M construction loan for Airbnb-branded condos in downtown Miami
Joseph Chetrit and a rendering of 2629 North Riverside Drive (Getty)
Chetrit scores $94M construction loan for oceanfront condo project in Pompano
Chetrit scores $94M construction loan for oceanfront condo project in Pompano
Madison Realty Capital’s Brian Shatz, Josh Zegen and Diana Group's Jaime Murra with 430 Northeast 31st Street (Concordia, Google Maps)
Colombian developers score $55M construction loan for Edgewater apartment project
Colombian developers score $55M construction loan for Edgewater apartment project
Christopher Mills and Brad Meltzer (Plaza Construction)
Plaza Construction promotes two executives, relaunches homes division
Plaza Construction promotes two executives, relaunches homes division
From left: Gran Paraiso and Bayside Terrace Condo
Gran Paraiso construction debris rained down on Edgewater condo building, lawsuit alleges
Gran Paraiso construction debris rained down on Edgewater condo building, lawsuit alleges
Josh Zegen, Madison Realty Capital, Invesca CEO Chris Longsworth
Invesca scores $102M construction loan for two SoFla apartment projects
Invesca scores $102M construction loan for two SoFla apartment projects
Peter Dyga and MiMo Bay Apartments construction site
Social distancing? Coronavirus not stopping South Florida construction projects — for now
Social distancing? Coronavirus not stopping South Florida construction projects — for now
One Ocean
Allegations of shoddy construction pile up at Related’s One Ocean
Allegations of shoddy construction pile up at Related’s One Ocean
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...