Former hotelier plans to restyle Miami condos by foreclosing on errant borrowers

Miami /
Jun.June 01, 2010 01:15 PM

Barry Sternlicht and Paramount Bay condominiums

Barry Sternlicht, one of the busiest buyers during the economic downturn, plans to transform the 47-story Paramount Bay condominium in Miami into a haven for wealthy buyers, the New York Times reported. Though the condo is in need of serious repairs, Sternlicht — best known for creating Starwood Hotels & Resorts, which he built into a public company with $6 billion in annual revenue — is not deterred. In the last year and a half, his private equity firm, Starwood Capital, has raised more than $3 billion. He recently acquired the $4.5 billion real estate loan portfolio of Corus Bankshares, the nation’s largest condominium construction lender until it failed last September because it had financed too many projects like Paramount Bay. The following month, Sternlicht and a group of investors won the loans in an auction run by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, paying $554 million for 40 percent of the package. The FDIC holds the remaining 60 percent. Sternlicht now hopes to foreclose on many of Corus’ errant borrowers, restyle their buildings and sell units for a significant profit once the real estate market recovers. Though some are skeptical about his prospects, others believe Sternlicht will succeed, though it may take several months to see the results. [NYT]

 

Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
A rendering of the proposed office building and Michael Shvo (Kobi Karp, Shvo)
Michael Shvo plans second Miami Beach office project
Michael Shvo plans second Miami Beach office project
Starwood Capital Group's Barry Sternlicht and Villas at the Cove Crossing at 2738 Lantana Road and 2735 Donnelly Drive in Lantana (Getty Images, Google Maps)
Sternlicht’s Starwood makes Lantana affordable housing play
Sternlicht’s Starwood makes Lantana affordable housing play
Don Peebles and Barry Sternlicht with renderings of proposals to develop city-owned property in Miami Beach (Starwood, Integra, Comras JV, Polo Sivori, CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons, Getty)
Miami Beach voters to decide on controversial Peebles, Sternlicht office projects near Lincoln Road
Miami Beach voters to decide on controversial Peebles, Sternlicht office projects near Lincoln Road
a16z founders Ben Horowitz and Marc Andreessen with Starwood Capital Group’s Barry Sternlicht and 2340 Collins Avenue in Miami Beach (a16z, Wikimedia via Christopher Michel, Illustration by Priyanka Modi for The Real Deal with Getty)
VC firm Andreessen Horowitz coming to Sternlicht’s Miami Beach building
VC firm Andreessen Horowitz coming to Sternlicht’s Miami Beach building
Starwood's Barry Sternlicht and Don Peebles III (Getty, Starwood, Integra, Comras JV)
Miami Beach gives green light to controversial Peebles, Sternlicht office projects near Lincoln Road
Miami Beach gives green light to controversial Peebles, Sternlicht office projects near Lincoln Road
Don Peebles and Barry Sternlicht with renderings of proposals to develop city-owned property in Miami Beach (Starwood Capital Group, Integra Investments, Comrass Company, Wikipedia, Getty)
Miami Beach gives preliminary OK to controversial Peebles, Sternlicht office projects near Lincoln Road
Miami Beach gives preliminary OK to controversial Peebles, Sternlicht office projects near Lincoln Road
Starwood’s Barry Sternlicht (Getty, iStock)
Starwood’s a “sea of stability,” prepared for a recession, Sternlicht says
Starwood’s a “sea of stability,” prepared for a recession, Sternlicht says
A photo illustration of prominent guests at the Witkoff wedding (via Instagram)
Nuptials Mar-a-Lago style: Donald Trump, Don Peebles, Barry Sternlicht among real estate elite at Witkoff wedding
Nuptials Mar-a-Lago style: Donald Trump, Don Peebles, Barry Sternlicht among real estate elite at Witkoff wedding
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...