Judge declines to strike down Everglades deal

TRD MIAMI /
Aug.August 24, 2010 04:00 PM

Everglades

The Miccosukee Tribe’s plea for a federal judge to strike down Gov. Charlie Crist’s $197 million deal for 26,800 acres of U.S. Sugar-owned land in the Everglades has been denied. The Miccosukees had said that the South Florida Water Management District would be using money to pay for the land that is needed for an already-stalled Everglades restoration project in western Palm Beach County. In a ruling released yesterday, U.S. District Judge Federico Moreno said that the district, which he ordered in March to restart that project, would be able to pay for both the restoration project and the U.S. Sugar deal and that “enjoining a vote on the expenditure of funds may be beyond the court’s power.” The latest, slimmed-down version of the deal was approved earlier this month and is expected to close Oct. 11. The Florida Supreme Court is still expected to render an opinion. [Miami Herald] 

 

Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis

Florida to buy 20K acres of Everglades wetlands

State again denies Everglades oil exploration permit

State again denies Everglades oil exploration permit

Urban sprawl could lead to development of 1.1M acres by 2070

Urban sprawl could lead to development of 1.1M acres by 2070

The Everglades

State nearing decision on Everglades oil well

FPL land swap with Everglades National Park OKd

FPL land swap with Everglades National Park OKd

The Everglades

Broward County resists bid for oil-drilling permit

Rick Scott collected nearly 3x more RE industry campaign donations than Charlie Crist

Rick Scott collected nearly 3x more RE industry campaign donations than Charlie Crist

Placeholder image

Heat’s Udonis Haslem pays off 30-year loan after six years

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...