Sunstone planning $1B hotel buying spree

Miami /
Jan.January 14, 2011 01:41 PM

Sunstone Hotel Investors, which acquired the Royal Palm Hotel in Miami Beach in August and owns 31 other hotel properties nationwide, is planning a $1 billion acquisition spree of large, high-end properties in major cities for 2011. The real estate investment trust has had to unload 10 hotels whose mortgages were underwater over the past two years, but is now aggressively trying to get back in the game under new leadership. Among the company’s first purchases of the year will be the remaining 62 percent stake in the Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square in New York City, for which it will pay $37.5 million. Sunstone already owns the other 38 percent of that hotel, and expects to close the deal this month. “Many deals last year, we spent months and months and months on to analyze the transaction until it essentially moved away from us,” said Kenneth Cruse, Sunstone’s new president and CFO. “We think going forward we are able to close many deals within two to three weeks.” [Bloomberg]


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
The Deauville Beach Resort at 6701 Collins Avenue (Google Maps, Office of the City Manager)
Miami Beach orders historic oceanfront Deauville resort to be demolished
Miami Beach orders historic oceanfront Deauville resort to be demolished
From left: Pedro Villar, owner of Aloft Miami Brickell, along with his attorney Joe Pack (Newstar Media)
Aloft Miami-Brickell exits bankruptcy, staves off foreclosure
Aloft Miami-Brickell exits bankruptcy, staves off foreclosure
From left: Greg Friedman (buyer), managing principal and CEO, Peachtree Hotel Group, and David Leatherwood (seller), CEO and managing member, Norwich Partners (Peachtree Hotel Group, Norwich Partners, Booking.com, iStock)
Peachtree buys AC Hotel by Marriott in Aventura for $50M
Peachtree buys AC Hotel by Marriott in Aventura for $50M
Z Ocean Hotel in Miami Beach
Appeals court upholds $8M judgment against former Z Ocean condo-hotel partners
Appeals court upholds $8M judgment against former Z Ocean condo-hotel partners
From left: James Vosotas and Branden Muhl, former partners who teamed up to renovate and reopen Hotel Greystone (Vos Hospitality, Mahaska, LoopNet)
Partner in South Beach’s Hotel Greystone hit with $19M judgment
Partner in South Beach’s Hotel Greystone hit with $19M judgment
Location Ventures CEO Rishi Kapoor and Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber (Dan Gebler, Stock. Photo illustration by Priyanka Modi.)
Miami Beach removes developer Rishi Kapoor from banned political donors list
Miami Beach removes developer Rishi Kapoor from banned political donors list
Sadhana and Sanjaykumar Patel of Luckey’s Management with a rendering of the 172-room hotel development in Fort Lauderdale (Luckey's Management/George White Architect)
Lucky Day? Luckey’s Management wins approval for 172-room, dual-branded hotel in Fort Lauderdale
Lucky Day? Luckey’s Management wins approval for 172-room, dual-branded hotel in Fort Lauderdale
Dream Hotel to anchor $185M riverfront project on site of the Wharf Miami
Dream Hotel to anchor $185M riverfront project on site of the Wharf Miami
Dream Hotel to anchor $185M riverfront project on site of the Wharf Miami
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...