Following months of legal battle, Marriott has won a case against Eden Roc, the owners of the Renaissance Hotel in Miami Beach, Bloomberg News reported. In April, Eden Roc sued Marriott and its Renaissance Hotel Management unit, accusing the chain of mismanaging the property, following a $300 million investment, which including a $240 million renovation. Marriott then sued Eden Roc last month, alleging that the owners were attempting a hostile takeover of the 21-floor, 631-room art deco hotel. New York State Supreme Court Justice Melvin Schweitzer granted Marriott a temporary restraining order preventing the takeover.
“We can either appoint a mediator with great hotel experience in this matter, you can pick one of your own, it can all be done under my auspices, but that’s my offer, it stands and for all concerned, especially, as I said, a fan of Eden Roc from years back when I passed over Fontainbleau and went next door, I would hope that you could arrive at some kind of a solution,” Schweitzer said in an Oct. 26 hearing, according to a transcript.
Schweitzer also denied Eden Roc’s motions for a preliminary injunction against Marriott and to vacate the temporary restraining order, according to the court filings made public today, spotted by Bloomberg. [Bloomberg] —Christopher Cameron