Fontainebleau hotel quits hospitality association

Miami /
May.May 07, 2013 03:00 PM

The Fontainebleau hotel has parted ways with the Greater Miami & The Beaches Hotel Association amid a disagreement over redeveloping the convention center district, the Miami Herald reported.

The famed 1,500-room Miami Beach resort was the largest hotel member of the association before it opted not to renew its membership. But the city’s billion-dollar plan soured the relationship.

“The Fontainebleau Miami Beach has always advocated an immediate renovation, expansion and upgrade to the Miami Beach Convention Center and we are not opposed to a hotel project, provided no public monies, taxes or subsidies are used in its development,” a Fontainebleau spokesman told the Herald in an email.

Miami Beach is close to picking a team to overhaul the outdated convention center, as well as add a ballroom, apartments, a shopping area and an affordable hotel. The Fontainebleau owners bid on the project, but lost, the newspaper said.

Last month, the hotel owners claimed a now-jailed city official cost them a $1 billion contract to redevelop the center. The Herald had reported Gus Lopez, the city’s former procurement director, was arrested and charged with 63 felony counts of public corruption charges. He has pleaded not guilty. [Miami Herald]Mark Maurer


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber and the Miami Beach Convention Center (Credit: Google Maps)

Miami Beach Convention Center to become temporary hospital during pandemic

Miami Beach Convention Center to become temporary hospital during pandemic
David Martin and Jackie Soffer, with a rendering of the project

800-key Miami Beach Convention Center Hotel to be a Grand Hyatt

800-key Miami Beach Convention Center Hotel to be a Grand Hyatt
Clark Construction CEO Robert Moser Jr., Miami Beach City Manager Jimmy Morales and Miami Beach Convention Center (Credit: iStock, Google Maps)

Miami Beach Convention Center contractor sues city, alleging $90M in unpaid work

Miami Beach Convention Center contractor sues city, alleging $90M in unpaid work
Miami Beach Convention Center

Lawsuit alleges $3.2M in unpaid work at Miami Beach Convention Center

Lawsuit alleges $3.2M in unpaid work at Miami Beach Convention Center
Anthony Gignac and Fontainebleau Miami Beach (Credit: Maimi-Dade police)

Fake sultan sentenced after allegedly defrauding Jeffrey Soffer and others

Fake sultan sentenced after allegedly defrauding Jeffrey Soffer and others
Turnberry partners and siblings Jackie and Jeffrey Soffer split up

Turnberry partners and siblings Jackie and Jeffrey Soffer split up

Turnberry partners and siblings Jackie and Jeffrey Soffer split up
How a fake Saudi prince allegedly swindled Turnberry’s Jeffrey Soffer

How a fake Saudi prince allegedly swindled Turnberry’s Jeffrey Soffer

How a fake Saudi prince allegedly swindled Turnberry’s Jeffrey Soffer
Here’s an inside look at the renovated Miami Beach Convention Center: PHOTOS

Here’s an inside look at the renovated Miami Beach Convention Center: PHOTOS

Here’s an inside look at the renovated Miami Beach Convention Center: PHOTOS
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...