Key Biscayne is reportedly suing the City of Miami over rehab plans for the historic Miami Marine Stadium.
The Key Biscayne Village Council voted on Tuesday to file a lawsuit over the city’s planned $16 million investment in the site, and its surrounding areas.
Key Biscayne officials are concerned that the rehabilitation for the outdoor space will be used to host dozens of events that will create significant traffic — like the International Boat Show in 2016.
Village Attorney Stephen Helfman told the Miami Herald that the village will file a suit, immediately stay the proceedings and enter into mediation. The City of Miami has until April 16 to come up with a redevelopment plan and funding, or risk losing a $3 million county grant, the Herald reported.
Miami Commissioners authorized the $16 million bond earlier this month to pay for improvements to a 15-acre area outside the stadium. The area includes seven undeveloped acres east of the stadium that will be paved and covered with artificial turf.
“We don’t trust this,” Key Biscayne’s vice mayor, Franklin Caplan, said to the newspaper. “I’m skeptical about investing $16 million on a flex park when it’s not going to be used for events.” [Miami Herald] — Katherine Kallergis