Walmart’s attempt to build a superstore in Midtown Miami may have inched a step closer to reality, after a judge denied an appeal from residents who oppose the giant retailer’s move into their neighborhood.
Yet, the residents vow to further appeal the case to the Third District Court of Appeal.
“The appeal is going to continue,” Grant Stern, spokesman for NoWalmartMidtown.com, told The Real Deal…. “It’s unfortunate that this slipped by, but it’s not the last chance.”
Critics of the proposed Walmart have argued that it will create traffic congestion in the neighborhood, and cut Midtown off from Wynwood.
The nation’s largest retailer’s plans to build a 203,000-square-foot store on North Miami Avenue. Last year, a group of residents sued the city for granting a permit with variances on loading berths. In October 2014, a three-judge panel ruled that the city approved five berths, which is above the allowed limit of three, and sent it back to the city for reconsideration. Walmart submitted corrected plans, which the city approved. The residents later appealed the decision.
Last week, the 11th Circuit Court’s Appellate Division denied their appeal, filing a one-page document without commentary. The ruling followed a hearing on Aug. 20
“We are pleased that the Court has upheld the City of Miami’s unanimous approval of our plans to bring a Walmart to Midtown,” said William C. Wertz, Walmart’s director of communications for the East, in a statement to TRD. “This decision brings Walmart one step closer to providing hundreds of new jobs and affordable grocery options to residents in nearby Wynwood, Overtown, Allapattah and Downtown Miami. We look forward to the day when we can open the new store that so many in the community have been anticipating.”
Walmart paid $8.2 million for the 4.6 acre site at 3055 North Miami Avenue in January 2014.