Fairfield continues SoFla suburban apartment boom with $27M trade

Miami /
Jul.July 22, 2016 08:45 AM

South Florida’s suburban apartment rally rolls on.

Fairfield Residential, a major owner and developer of apartment communities in the United States, just sold one of its rental complexes in Tamarac for $27.2 million.

The community is called Midora at Woodmont, with an address of 7790 Northwest 78th Avenue near Tamarac’s Woodmont Country Club.

Built in 1988, the community has 199 apartments and sits on about 13 acres of land fronting a canal. Monthly rents at the complex range from $1,110 for a one-bedroom apartment to $1,675 for a two-bedroom pad. Amenities include a fitness center, playground, community pool, tennis court and a jogging path.

Fairfield, which has some 60,000 units in its national portfolio, first bought the Midora four years ago for $17.6 million, according to Broward County records. The purchase broke down to about $88,442 per unit.

Now, the apartment builder has sold its community to a pair of companies for $136,683 per square foot — an increase in value of about 54 percent, highlighting the kinds of investment returns possible in South Florida’s more suburban cities.

County records show the buyers are two companies called Selwyn Midora Owner and We Midora Owner, which are both controlled by Jeffrey Weiskopf of New York’s White Eagle Property Group. The ownership split has 65 percent control to Selwyn Midora and the remaining 35 percent to We Midora. White Eagle is an investment firm that buys apartment communities at or below market value, according to its website, with its current portfolio sitting at about 7,000 units in New York, the Southeastern U.S. and the Mid-Atlantic.

Weiskopf financed his company’s purchase with a $21 million loan from Capital One’s multifamily finance division.

In just the first half of this year, investors and developers traded $4 billion worth of South Florida rental properties, many of which are located in suburban areas. Industry players say their potential growth in value and steady cash flow make them attractive assets, compared to properties in much riskier markets like downtown Miami.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Eden Multifamily heads Jay Massirman and Jay Jacobson with Cypress Equity Investments CEO Michael Sorochinsky (rendering courtesy of MSA Architects)
Eden Multifamily, Cypress Equity score $24M construction loan for Tamarac apartments
Eden Multifamily, Cypress Equity score $24M construction loan for Tamarac apartments
(iStock)
Home prices across globe hit records, prompting worries of bubble
Home prices across globe hit records, prompting worries of bubble
Steven and Beth Millner with One Thousand Ocean (Patrick McMullan/Getty, Google Maps)
Private equity honcho pays $5M for Boca Raton condo
Private equity honcho pays $5M for Boca Raton condo
From left: Jim Cohen, Nancy Corey, Nathan Zeder, Alicia Cervera Lamadrid, Phil Gutman and Mike Pappas (iStock)
South Florida’s pandemic-fueled residential market poised for bull run in 2021
South Florida’s pandemic-fueled residential market poised for bull run in 2021
Kathleen DuRoss Ford and 300 North Lake Way (Getty, Google Maps)
Kate Ford’s Palm Beach estate sells for $55M
Kate Ford’s Palm Beach estate sells for $55M
Oprah Winfrey and (inset) Lawrence Stroll over the unit (Getty)
You get a condo! Billionaire Lawrence Stroll sells Oprah’s former Fisher Island penthouse
You get a condo! Billionaire Lawrence Stroll sells Oprah’s former Fisher Island penthouse
Gables Town Colony apartment complex, Sue Ansel of Gables Residential
Gables Residential scores $85M loan for Boca Raton apartment complex
Gables Residential scores $85M loan for Boca Raton apartment complex
Broadstone City Center with Alliance Residential’s Bruce Ward and Nuveen CEO Jose Minaya
Nuveen pays $103M for West Palm luxury apartments
Nuveen pays $103M for West Palm luxury apartments
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...