Miami Beach City Commission says no demos in North Beach for six months

Bans imposed along Tatum Waterway and in proposed conservation districts

TRD MIAMI /
Feb.February 08, 2017 02:15 PM

The Miami Beach city commission on Wednesday imposed a six-month ban on any demolition of buildings along the Tatum Waterway in North Beach for six months.

It was the second reading of a measure that covers more than 100 buildings, many of them aging Miami Modern structures that line the waterway from 73rd Street to 87 Street.   

The commission on Wednesday also passed on a first reading a measure that will prevent any demolitions of buildings in a proposed “conservation overlay” district for the area for six months. In December, the commission agreed to create two local historic districts in North Beach, one encompassing parts of Normandy Isle and the other in the North Shore just east of the Tatum Waterway. However, commissioners declined to extend the North Shore local historic district to include streets bordering the Tatum Waterway, instead pledging to create the conservation overlay district. Nearly all demolitions in local historic districts are banned.

Conservation districts have specific design guidelines for new buildings that include limits on lot size and scale, but demolitions would not be prohibited. Wednesday’s action by the commission to ban demolitions in the proposed conservation overlay district is designed to prevent demolitions while the new overlay district is being drawn up.    

Commissioners also sent several proposals to the city’s land use committee for consideration that deal with ongoing efforts to revitalize North Beach. The proposals, which deal with parking requirements, building heights and uses for non-conforming buildings will eventually be considered by the city’s planning board.   

Last year commissioners agreed to raise height limits along 71st Street and parts of 72nd Street to allow new buildings for a “town center.” They also approved a short-term rental district along Harding Avenue that commissioners said would allow many smaller older economically unviable buildings to be preserved.

Daniel Veitia, a member of the advisory North Beach Steering Committee told commissioners the measure “is having an amazing positive impact on what was a derelict corridor,” saying that since the ordinance passed, nine buildings with a total of 135 units have begun the process to convert their buildings to code to be able to function as short-term rental buildings.  


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Franco Bianchi and Eighty Seven Park  

Furniture exec moves into condo at Eighty Seven Park for $7M

Novak Djokovic and Eighty Seven Park (Credit: Getty Images)

Novak Djokovic pays $6M for Renzo Piano-designed condo

Jonathan Newhouse and Eighty Seven Park (Credit: Getty Images)

Condé Nast scion drops $6M on Miami Beach condo

2965 West Corporate Lakes Boulevard and Black Creek Group CEO Raj Dhanda (Credit: Google Maps, Blue Vault)

TIAA sells Weston warehouse for $33M

Pierre Pomerleau and a rendering of Eighty Seven Park

Canadian construction mogul buys condo at Eighty Seven Park

Miami Beach loosens regulations for real estate developers and small businesses

Miami Beach relaxes rules on development, pools, restaurants

Matis Cohen and Marisa Galbut with the 72nd and Park rendering

Matis Cohen and Galbut family score board approval for North Beach project, to include apartments and micro-units

Daily Digest Miami

SoftBank brings on Marcelo Claure to help turn around WeWork, Hallandale Beach project scores $100M loan: Daily digest

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...