Investor claims blackmail tied to sale of Oceana Bal Harbour site in 2012

Miami /
Mar.March 09, 2017 12:45 PM

A real estate investor who cut a $1.15 million check to an influential Bal Harbour resident for his help in upzoning the Oceana Bal Harbour site back in 2012 is claiming the resident didn’t hold up his end of the bargain – and that he was extorted.

Joseph Imbesi, a real estate investor from Philadelphia, publicly claimed at a Bal Harbour Village Council meeting last year that Doug Rudolph, a resident and restaurateur, shook him down for the $1.15 million. Imbesi is alleging that Rudolph, who owns the Tap 42 restaurant chain, promised to secure the upzoning of the Oceana site before Imbesi’s Bal Harbour Club Inc. sold it to developer Eduardo Costantini for $220 million in 2012.

Imbesi also says that Rudolph promised to not block approval of another project at the marina – all in exchange for the $1.15 million, according to the Miami Herald. Rudolph is now opposing Imbesi’s plans to operate the marina and build single-family homes on the adjacent land, which could block Rudolph’s water views. (Imbesi is suing Bal Harbour over the right to operate the marina.)

Rudolph alleges the check was for a legitimate consulting fee for helping sell the beach club. He filed a lawsuit Tuesday, claiming breach of contract and defamation, the Herald reported. He’s also seeking $25 million in damages.

Oceana‘s sales director Ernesto Cohan, who brokered the land sale in 2012 to Consultatio, told the Herald he wasn’t aware of Rudolph’s consulting role, but that he met with him because of Imbesi.

Oceana Bal Harbour, meanwhile, is expected to have the biggest sellout of any condo project in South Florida at $1.3 sellout. It opened in November. [Miami Herald] – Katherine Kallergis


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Matthew Whitman Lazenby and Bal Harbour Shops
Special election could pave way for height increase at Bal Harbour Shops
Special election could pave way for height increase at Bal Harbour Shops
From left: Jim Cohen, Nancy Corey, Nathan Zeder, Alicia Cervera Lamadrid, Phil Gutman and Mike Pappas (iStock)
South Florida’s pandemic-fueled residential market poised for bull run in 2021
South Florida’s pandemic-fueled residential market poised for bull run in 2021
Kathleen DuRoss Ford and 300 North Lake Way (Getty, Google Maps)
Kate Ford’s Palm Beach estate sells for $55M
Kate Ford’s Palm Beach estate sells for $55M
Oprah Winfrey and (inset) Lawrence Stroll over the unit (Getty)
You get a condo! Billionaire Lawrence Stroll sells Oprah’s former Fisher Island penthouse
You get a condo! Billionaire Lawrence Stroll sells Oprah’s former Fisher Island penthouse
Simon and David Reuben with St. Regis Bal Harbour (Getty, Google Maps)
Reuben Brothers takes over $132M loan backing St. Regis Bal Harbour
Reuben Brothers takes over $132M loan backing St. Regis Bal Harbour
Diego Lowenstein, Dayssi Olarte de Kanavos, Paul Kanavos, and Ronny Ben Josef, with The The Sagamore (Credit: The Sagamore Hotel)
Owners of Ritz-Carlton South Beach and Bal Harbour hotels merge with Sagamore
Owners of Ritz-Carlton South Beach and Bal Harbour hotels merge with Sagamore
Dina Goldentayer, Ryan Cohen and the Bal Bay Drive home (Credit: Kris Tamburello/Douglas Elliman)
Lawsuit alleges Harding Realty cut out of $24M Bal Harbour sale, reveals Chewy founder as alleged buyer
Lawsuit alleges Harding Realty cut out of $24M Bal Harbour sale, reveals Chewy founder as alleged buyer
A renderings of the Shops at Sunset Place project and a rendering of the Surfside Town Center project
Voters decide South Miami, Surfside and Bal Harbour real estate referendums
Voters decide South Miami, Surfside and Bal Harbour real estate referendums
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...