Discount store operator Dollar Express plans to close eight locations in South Florida and to lay off their 65 employees by the end of June.
Five of the Dollar Express to be closed are located in Miami-Dade County and three are in Broward County.
Private equity firm Sycamore Partners, the owner of Dollar Express, disclosed the planned store closings and layoffs in a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification filed with the state Department of Economic Opportunity.
The South Florida addresses of Dollar Express stores to be closed by June 30 are:
- Dania, 120 South Federal Highway
- Hollywood, 1801 North Federal Highway
- Homestead, 1497 Northeast 8 Street
- Miami, 3105 Northwest 62 Street
- Miami, 401 Northeast 125 Street
- Miami, 2712 Northwest 79 Street
- Miami Gardens, 19922 Northwest 2 Avenue
- Plantation, 15 North State Road 7
Sycamore Partners announced earlier this month that it planned to sell all 323 stores in the Dollar Express chain to competitor Dollar General.
In a company statement, Tennessee-based Dollar General did not detail its plans for the 323 stores. [Sun-Sentinel] – Mike Seemuth