The Real Deal Miami

Boca Raton rejects plan for $75M luxury senior living project

City officials said proposal lacked parking and would put a strain on fire rescue services
July 24, 2018 05:30PM

Rendering of the Concierge

A Boca Raton board rejected Group P6’s plan to build a $75 million, mixed-use development geared toward seniors.

Boca’s community redevelopment agency on Monday voted 3-1 against the project, called the Concierge, arguing that the developer did not include enough parking and would put a strain on the city’s fire rescue services.

As proposed, the 130,000-square-foot project called for a luxury 129-bed assisted, independent and memory care facility with an underground parking garage, a theater, restaurant and salon, according to the Palm Beach Post. It would be built on a downtown site owned by Robert Buehl on Southeast Sixth Street between Dixie Highway and Federal Highway.

Group P6, led by Ignacio Diaz, offered to pay for a private ambulance service, but only the city’s fire rescue can provide emergency transportation. Andrea O’Rourke, chair of the Boca board, said the project may not fit into the city’s “vision for the downtown.”

The developer is no stranger to Boca Raton. Group P6 also built 327 Royal Palm, a nine-story, 25-unit condo at 327 Royal Palm Boulevard, and last year proposed building 475 Royal Palm, a 48-unit condo project on Southeast Fifth Avenue and Palmetto.  [Palm Beach Post] – Katherine Kallergis