Once-contentious Sunset Harbour project scores approvals from Miami Beach

Beach Towing is appealing one of the project's approvals

TRD MIAMI /
Dec.December 05, 2018 03:30 PM

Rendering of Sunset Park (Credit: Domo Architecture and Design)

Deco Capital Group secured key approvals from two Miami Beach boards over the past week and is moving forward with its plans for a scaled-back development in the Sunset Harbour neighborhood.

Bradley Colmer, managing principal of Deco Capital, said the developer has all the city approvals it needs now that it got the OK from the planning and design review boards, but it’s still facing opposition from the nearby Beach Towing Services, which is appealing the project’s approval.

RWN Real Estate Partners, a New York-based private equity firm backed by billionaire Marc Rowan, is a majority partner in the project.

As planned, Sunset Park would be a roughly 67,000-square-foot mixed-use retail and residential development at 1733-1769 Purdy Avenue and 1730 Bay Road. Domo Architecture and Design is designing the project, which includes 20,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space with two larger restaurant spaces, two cafes, and four traditional retail units.

Rendering of Sunset Park (Credit: Domo Architecture and Design)

The five-story building would have one level of parking above that, plus three stories of condos. The condos would be between 2,900 square feet and 3,700 square feet.

Construction could begin next year, but Colmer said he expects that it will begin in 2020.

In 2015, the developer withdrew its height increase request after it was unable to reach agreements with residents living at the adjacent Lofts at South Beach Condominium and with Beach Towing, which holds a deed restriction that it said prevented parking on property previously owned by the towing company.

Colmer called Beach Towing a “bad faith actor” and said he expects its appeals will run their course.

Previous versions of the project were taller. In 2017, Miami Beach commissioners voted down an ordinance that would have increased the height for the development, known then as Sunset Harbour Residences, to 90 feet from 50 feet.

The developer picked up another piece of the assemblage earlier this year, paying $3.53 million for the Bay Road site, which allowed the developer to redesign plans for the project.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
David Martin, Russell Galbut, and a 500 Alton rendering (Credit: The Next Miami)

Miami Beach, Crescent Heights, Terra agree to settle dispute over floor-to-area calculations

Amir Zwickel and a Showfields store

Showfields to bring new retail concept to Lincoln Road

David Arditi of Aria Development Group and 321 Ocean

Condo association alleges construction defects at 321 Ocean: lawsuit

Julian Cohen and a rendering of the project

Felix and Julian Cohen propose waterfront spec mansion on North Bay Road

1452 Washington Avenue (Credit: Google Maps, iStock)

Spanish investor buys mixed-use building near Española Way

Joseph Menaged with his units at Faena House and One57 (Credit: Facebook, Redfin, StreetEasy)

Father of “Property Wars” star pleads guilty to bank fraud

Russell Galbut and the Shelborne South Beach

Russell Galbut, WP Carey sell Shelborne South Beach

Clark Construction CEO Robert Moser Jr., Miami Beach City Manager Jimmy Morales and Miami Beach Convention Center (Credit: iStock, Google Maps)

Miami Beach Convention Center contractor sues city, alleging $90M in unpaid work

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...