Chetrit shuts down oceanfront Miami Beach hotel for major renovation

18-story, 424-key hotel was built in the 1960s

May.May 01, 2019 01:30 PM
Joseph Chetrit and Miami Beach Resort

Joseph Chetrit and Miami Beach Resort

The Chetrit Group’s Miami Beach Resort is now closed for a major renovation of the oceanfront hotel.

Kobi Karp, the architect for the Miami Beach Resort renovation, as well as the Collins Park project, said the Miami Beach Resort property is being completely renovated but declined to comment further. It closed within the last two weeks, according to sources.

The 3-acre, 424-key hotel at 4833 Collins Avenue was built in the 1960s. Property records show Miami Beach Resort Owner LLC paid $117 million for the hotel in 2013. The company is controlled by Jacob Chetrit, brother of Joseph Chetrit, who leads the New York City-based Chetrit Group.

In 2015, the Miami Beach Historic Preservation Board approved plans for a partial demolition, renovation and restoration of the existing 18-story building, which included building new balconies, redeveloping the pool deck on the eastern ground level, and building a new rooftop pool and deck on the southwest portion of the building. The city denied a request to build a 1-story rooftop addition.

Jacob Chetrit owns 80 percent interest in the property and his brother Juda Chetrit owns the remaining 20 percent, records filed with the city show. The property opened in 1963 as the Doral Hotel On-The-Ocean, named for its owner Alfred Kaskel, and his wife Doris. The city of Doral is named after the couple, who also built the Carillon Hotel.

The hotel, known for its Starlight Room restaurant on the top floor, is adjacent to the Blue and Green Diamond condo towers and north of the Fontainebleau Miami Beach and the Eden Roc resorts.

Over in the Collins Park neighborhood of Miami Beach, the Chetrit Group is developing the Collins Park Hotel, a 294-key project that calls for four new buildings with 172,000 square feet, underground parking and an interior courtyard. A construction worker died after he fell from the third story of the project in December. The development is across the street from the newly renovated Miami Beach Convention Center.

Another historic Miami Beach hotel is preparing to open after being closed for nine years. The Peter Miller Hotel, at 1900 Collins Avenue, underwent a $71 million renovation led by Lennox Hotels’ Diego Agnelli. It’s set to open in July, according to the Miami Herald.

Related Articles

Placeholder image

Blackstone sells Weston hotel for $12M

Rendering of One Eleven Wynwood Hotel by Sonder and Eduardo Vargas, Andres Hogg and Andres Klein

Sonder inks lease for flagship Wynwood hotel

A conceptual rendering and Lon Tabatchnick

Margaritaville developer plans another Hollywood hotel despite opposition

Ambassador Hotel Cooperative Apartments (Credit: iStock)

Copperline Partners closes on bulk co-op deal in Palm Beach

From left: Keith Menin and Russell Galbut, with the Domio Kaskades Hotel

Russell Galbut wants to sell another Miami Beach hotel

Jeffrey Soffer and Fontainebleau Miami Beach

Jeffrey Soffer scores $1.2B refi of Fontainebleau Miami Beach

The LaLanne exhibit at The Real Deal’s event in October

Michael Shvo to unveil tropical gardens with LaLanne exhibit at the Raleigh

Hotel Morrison (Credit: iStock)

Hospitality firm buys new Hotel Morrison in Dania Beach for $28M