Pebblebrook hotels to lay off majority of 8,000-person workforce

Hotel execs traveled to Washington, D.C. to ask for $150B bailout

National /
Mar.March 18, 2020 04:30 PM
Pebblebrook CEO Jon Bortz (Credit: iStock)

Pebblebrook CEO Jon Bortz (Credit: iStock)

One of the country’s largest hotel owners plans to lay off most of its 8,000-person workforce by the end of the month in order to cope with the devastating impact the coronavirus is having on the hospitality industry.

Pebblebrook Hotel Trust CEO Jon Bortz was among the hotel executives who met with President Trump Tuesday to seek a $150 billion bailout for the hotel industry.

Bortz, whose total compensation in the most recent fiscal year was $5.65 million, said the company made the decision to let go 4,000 workers and expects to let go another 2,000 by the end of the month.

“Our hotels are in most of the hardest hit cities – Seattle, San Francisco, here in Washington, D.C., NYC, Boston, Chicago and more,” he said.

The hotel chain owns 54 hotels across the country with more than 13,000 rooms.

“We are looking at closing the doors at more than half of our properties,” he added. “This is the reality we, and countless other owners and operators around the country are facing in the wake of this public health situation.”

Executives from Best Western, Choice Hotels, Hilton, Hyatt, InterContinental Hotels Group, Marriott, MGM, Universal and the Walt Disney Company joined the American Hotel and Lodging Association to make the case for a financial aid package as decreased travel resulting from the global pandemic threatens millions of hotel jobs across the country.

Marriott earlier this week reportedly began putting tens of thousands of employees on furlough while the company shut down some of its properties. The employees, who do not include members of the company’s corporate team, will not receive payment, but will continue receiving healthcare benefits.

Contact Rich Bockmann at [email protected] or 908-415-5229.


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Bulgari CEO Jean-Christophe Babin and 100 21st Street, Miami (Bvlgari via Twitter, Getty, iStock)

Bulgari plans first US hotel on oceanfront Miami Beach site

Bulgari plans first US hotel on oceanfront Miami Beach site
HFZ looks to sell Shore Club South Beach hotel

HFZ looks to sell Shore Club South Beach hotel

HFZ looks to sell Shore Club South Beach hotel
Simon and David Reuben with St. Regis Bal Harbour (Getty, Google Maps)

Reuben Brothers takes over $132M loan backing St. Regis Bal Harbour

Reuben Brothers takes over $132M loan backing St. Regis Bal Harbour
Tudor House Art Deco and Essex House hotels (Wikipedia Commons)

Hotel height increases could be coming to Miami Beach’s Collins Avenue near Ocean Drive

Hotel height increases could be coming to Miami Beach’s Collins Avenue near Ocean Drive
Diego Lowenstein, Dayssi Olarte de Kanavos, Paul Kanavos, and Ronny Ben Josef, with The The Sagamore (Credit: The Sagamore Hotel)

Owners of Ritz-Carlton South Beach and Bal Harbour hotels merge with Sagamore

Owners of Ritz-Carlton South Beach and Bal Harbour hotels merge with Sagamore
Pharrell, Eric Birnbaum and David Grutman with a rendering of the hotel (Getty, Linkedin, Goodtime Hotel)

Pharrell, David Grutman partner with developer to launch South Beach hotel

Pharrell, David Grutman partner with developer to launch South Beach hotel
Starwood CEO Barry Sternlicht, InTown Suites CEO Ash Kapur and 1071 NE 28th Avenue in Homestead (Getty, Google Maps)

Starwood scores $265M refi for portfolio of InTown, Uptown hotels

Starwood scores $265M refi for portfolio of InTown, Uptown hotels
Lord Balfour Hotel

Mezz lender forecloses on Ocean Drive hotel in South Beach

Mezz lender forecloses on Ocean Drive hotel in South Beach
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...