Gowanus coal pockets being razed
Canal continues to see demolition, changes
The Burns Brothers coal pockets by the Gowanus Canal are in the process of being torn down, presumably to make way for a new office development.
The Burns Brothers coal pockets were in Operation On Sixth Street at Second Avenue in Brooklyn from 1915 to 1938. Eight pockets were built between 1915 and 1924. By 1938, 10 more were built.
The forthcoming office development that will take the coal pockets’ place will also overtake the neighboring bus depot.
The demolition of these coal pockets immediately follows the tearing down of Gowanus’s Silos On Carroll Street earlier this month. The Carroll Street silos were taken down to make room for The Lightstone Group’s upcoming massive 700-unit apartment complex. [PMFA] —TRD