Fire breaks out on roof of Park Slope’s Grand Prospect Hall

Fire broke out around 2:30 p.m. and is still active

UPDATED, Dec. 20, 2019, 3:56 p.m.: A fire broke out on the roof of the historic Grand Prospect Hall in Park Slope.

The fire department received a call around 2:30 p.m. of a fire on the roof of the four-story structure, a spokesperson said.

It was an “all-hands” call, with twelve units — 60 firefighters — responding. The fire was put out as of 3:20 p.m. and no one was injured, according to the spokesperson.

Sign Up for the undefined Newsletter

The event space and banquet hall, located at 263 Prospect Avenue, dates to the late 1800s.

The beginnings of film also have roots in the building. The son of John Kolle, the hall’s builder, started a motion picture company in 1908 and movies were produced at the property, according to the building’s site. The company shuttered when competitor Thomas Edison threatened legal action. In the years since, the building served as a set for movies like Wes Anderson’s “The Royal Tenenbaums.”

The property is owned by Michael and Alice Halkias, who make an appearance in an iconic commercial advertising the hall. The owners could not be reached for comment.

Update: This story was updated to include the time the fire was put out.