Fintech firm signs on for massive lease at 28 Liberty
Landlord Fosun International has seen several big leases since it renovated the 60-story tower
Another fintech firm is eschewing Midtown Manhattan for Lower Manhattan.
London-based Refinitiv, a financial markets data firm, took three floors at 28 Liberty Street, according to Commercial Observer. JLL negotiated both sides of the deal, with the asking rent in the upper $70s per square foot.
Blackstone acquired a 55 percent stake in the company in 2018 valued at $20 billion. Thomson Reuters owns the other 45 percent of Refinitiv, which currently has offices at the Reuters Building at 5 Times Square. It will move into its new offices at the end of this year.
Fosun International’s 60-story tower in the Financial District has seen several new leases and renewals since the firm completed renovations to add 200,000 square feet of retail space and a restaurant on the 60th floor. Last year, Allianz renewed its lease for its 70,000-square-foot offices.
The building was the Chinese firm’s first office property in the United States. It purchased the 2.2 million-square-foot building — then 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza — for $725 million in 2013. In 2018, Fosun International was rumored to be looking to sell its flagship tower for $1.6 billion, but the company denied the report. [CO] — Georgia Kromrei