Here are the under 50-unit resi projects proposed in LA last week

Hollywood, Westchester were the only two hoods with new projects

TRD LOS ANGELES /
Nov.November 05, 2018 04:00 PM
8733 Reading Avenue streetview

UPDATED, 12:28 p.m., Nov, 28: West L.A. was the site for both of the new mid-size residential projects that developers filed last week.

Under the plans, Westchester and Hollywood would each get a mixed-income project that would use transit-oriented incentives to add a small stock of affordable units to a pricier part of the city.

In either neighborhood, new finishes and proximity to transit can bring in rents starting at $2,000 for a one-bedroom, according to active rental listings on Zillow.

But the similarities end there. Westchester is a single-family community in the midst of transition, and the 34-unit project planned there would be the first of its kind on the block.

Hollywood, on the other hand, has seen rental development and multifamily investment sales surge. In August, an investor paid more than $345,000 per unit for an apartment house on North Highland Avenue built in 1984, while Goldrich Kest dropped $52 million for a 76-unit mixed-user nearby.

8733 Reading Avenue | Westchester | 34 Units
WNMS Communities is doubling down on Westchester with this project.

WNMS bought the site in June 2017 for $1.1 million and will build up to 70 percent more units than normally allowed because the site is in a “tier-3” zone—the second-highest in the transit-oriented communities program. A triplex occupies the site right now, and most of the homes on the street are single-family residences or low-density apartments.

The local developer, which is headed by Scott Walter, filed plans for another 30-unit multifamily at 8911 South Ramsgate Avenue in August.

5823 W. Lexington Avenue | Hollywood | 21 Units

JAM Capital Real Estate, a local developer controlled by Justin Mateen, is partnering with Proper Development and investor Ari Miller to build this five-story building on Lexington Avenue between Van Ness and Bronson.

The joint-venture bought the development site last December for $3.6 million, with JAM taking the largest share of 49 percent, while Miller and Proper Development split the remaining 51 percent.

Proper Development is led by Daniel Pourbaba, the son of David Pourbaba, who is the CEO of 4D Development & Investments. 

Correction: In a previous version of this story, the lead developer on the 5823 W. Lexington Avenue project was incorrectly identified.

 

Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Justin Myers, Vice President of Atlas Hospitality

Study: California hotel construction outlook is bleak

Study: California hotel construction outlook is bleak
Gaw Capital Chairman Goodwin Gaw and DJM founder John Miller with a rendering of the project

An analysis of rent rolls at Hollywood & Highland

An analysis of rent rolls at Hollywood & Highland
Bob Iger, Reed Hastings and (clockwise from top left) Sunset Las Palmas, Sunset Bronson and Sunset Gower Studios (Getty, Google Maps)

Here’s what Netflix, Disney and CBS pay at for their Hollywood digs

Here’s what Netflix, Disney and CBS pay at for their Hollywood digs
Bernard Huberman and Hollywood’s Television Center (BLT, Television Center)

BLT Enterprises buys Hollywood’s Television Center for $64M

BLT Enterprises buys Hollywood’s Television Center for $64M
Photo illustration of Hudson Pacific Properties CEO Victor Coleman and Blackstone Group President Jonathan Gray (Coleman by Rich Polk/Getty; Gray by Drew Angerer/Getty; Top Gun by Paramount Pictures/Sunset Boulevard/Corbis/Getty)

Inside Hudson Pacific and Blackstone’s field of streams

Inside Hudson Pacific and Blackstone’s field of streams
Phillip Aarons and a rendering of the project (Credit: Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)

Earth shaking news: Hollywood Center megaproject on active fault line

Earth shaking news: Hollywood Center megaproject on active fault line
6725 West Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood and Vanbarton Group's Richard Coles (Credit: Google Maps)

Vanbarton’s Sunset Boulevard office complex goes to special servicing

Vanbarton’s Sunset Boulevard office complex goes to special servicing
Onni Group president Rossano De Cotiis and the site (Credit: Google Maps)

Onni Group plans 14-story office complex in Hollywood

Onni Group plans 14-story office complex in Hollywood
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...