LA’s rental assistance program relaunches as eviction moratorium ends

Part of $5B statewide program that now covers 100% of back rent, utilities

Los Angeles /
Aug.August 27, 2021 10:00 AM
As of early August, the state had distributed around $243 million in rental assistance (Getty)
As of early August, the state had distributed around $243 million in rental assistance (Getty)

Los Angeles will again be accepting applications for the state’s massive rental assistance program.

Renters and landlords in the city can submit applications starting at 7 a.m. on Sept. 1, according to Urbanize.

The federally-funded program — with over $5 billion in its coffers — covers back rent accrued during the pandemic and has an income ceiling for eligibility.

The moves comes as the Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down the nationwide eviction ban.

California’s program initially covered a maximum of 80 percent of back rent accrued through the end of March, as long as a given landlord waived the remaining 20 percent of back rent. Now, the state will cover 100 percent of both back rent and unpaid utility bills.

The state will continue to administer the program, which launched in March. The state saw a flood of applications but disbursement was somewhat slow.

As of early August, the state had distributed around $243 million in rental assistance, about 22 percent of the households that requested rental assistance.

And as of earlier this week, the state has doled out $375 million in rental assistance, or 34 percent of funds requested. Around 108,700 households had complete applications for the program and 31,650 received funds.

The average assistance paid out to households was about $12,000. Nearly 69 percent of households statewide that so far have received rental assistance had an income of 30 percent of area median income, the lowest-income bracket tracked by the state.

Renters and landlords can apply for assistance through housing.ca.gov and can receive help filling out applications by calling 833-687-0967. Information is also available through hcidla.lacity.org.

[Urbanize] — Dennis Lynch 





    Related Articles

    arrow_forward_ios
    Protests outside of City Hall and Councilmember John Lee (Andrew Asch, Councilmember John Lee, Illustration by Priyanka Modi for The Real Deal with Getty)
    LA City Council extends eviction moratorium
    LA City Council extends eviction moratorium
    Santa Monica Homes
    Santa Monica, WeHo most expensive rent cities in LA County
    Santa Monica, WeHo most expensive rent cities in LA County
    Stockbridge Chiefs Terry Fancher and Sol Raso with The Bahay
    Stockbridge Capital pays nearly $138M for Filipinotown apartments
    Stockbridge Capital pays nearly $138M for Filipinotown apartments
    California governor Gavin Newsom and state senator Scott Wiener (Getty)
    Analysis: Report puts California housing shortage in national perspective
    Analysis: Report puts California housing shortage in national perspective
    Senator Sydney Kamlager (Getty Images, iStock/Photo Illustration by Steven Dilakian for The Real Deal)
    Apartment owners skeptical on plan for new affordable housing agency in LA
    Apartment owners skeptical on plan for new affordable housing agency in LA
    Legacy Partners' W. Dean Henry with The Verandas (Legacy Partners, The Verandas Apartments)
    Legacy Partners unloads 209-unit apartment complex in West Covina for $92M
    Legacy Partners unloads 209-unit apartment complex in West Covina for $92M
    11677 - 11683 Goshen Avenue (Redfin)
    Brentwood apartment building finds a buyer
    Brentwood apartment building finds a buyer
    Kacy Keys and the proposed site on the corner of Crenshaw Boulevard and West 54th Street (Loopnet, Praxis Development Group)
    Praxis Development proposes 48-unit apartment building in Crenshaw district
    Praxis Development proposes 48-unit apartment building in Crenshaw district
    arrow_forward_ios

    The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

    Loading...