The Real Deal Miami

David Beckham group reveals new design of Miami soccer stadium in Overtown

$300M-plus stadium design still lacks parking

New rendering of the soccer stadium. Inset: David Beckham

Miami Beckham United unveiled a new design of Miami’s first Major League Soccer stadium.

David Beckham’s group revealed updated plans of the more than $300 million, 25,000-seat stadium that will be built in Overtown at a town hall meeting on Wednesday.

At the meeting, requested by commissioner Audrey Edmonson, a Beckham attorney reiterated that the stadium design lacks parking, and that the use of public transportation will be encouraged, the Miami Herald reported. The group’s plan is to have a dinner-cruise boat transport fans to the Miami River, in addition to arranging for shuttle buses from parking garages.

Zoning changes and a street closure could take about a year, which means the stadium wouldn’t open until 2021. The attorney said the team could play in a temporary venue in the meantime. The stadium will be privately funded, the attorney said.

Last week, the Herald reported that the Beckham group is ready to close on the 3 acres of Miami-Dade County-owned land needed to build the stadium, now that it has the financial backing – Los Angeles Dodgers owner Todd Boehly – to fund the stadium.

Miami Beckham United would pay the appraised value of $9 million for the land, which is being used as a county bus depot. The group needs a land agreement with the county to get formal approval from the MLS organization. After sites at PortMiami and other locations in Miami failed to gain traction, Beckham moved onto Overtown, last year paying $19 million for 6 privately owned acres next to the county’s 3 acres.

The commission will vote on the deal June 6. The deal includes a promise to create 50 permanent jobs at the stadium. [Miami Herald] – Katherine Kallergis