FPL spent $3B in preparation for Irma but millions of customers still lost power

"There is no such thing as a hurricane-proof system:" FPL spokesperson Peter Robbins

Miami /
Sep.September 22, 2017 03:00 PM

Over the past decade, Florida Power & Light spent about $3 billion on projects to strengthen the electrical grid in preparation for storms like Hurricane Irma. Despite preparations, homes across Miami-Dade and Broward counties dealt with mass power outages for more than a week after the storm.

“There is no such thing as a hurricane-proof system,” FPL spokesperson Peter Robbins told the Miami Herald. “The system has performed very well.”

Part of FPL’s efforts to prepare for hurricanes included the installation of concrete poles and underground power lines, but after Irma storm hit, about 4.4 million of 4.9 million FPL customers lost power, including 92 percent of customers in Miami-Dade County and 85 percent in Broward County. As of Wednesday, 1,780 Miami-Dade and Broward customers remained without power.

Robbins told the Herald that the transmission systems did not fail. “We were able to get the vast majority of people’s lights back on within a few days,” he said.

Coral Gables, which threatened to sue FPL for failing to turn the lights back on for all of its residents by the previously promised deadline of Sunday night, issued the power company a citation earlier this week. FPL fired back, saying in a statement that it will not bow to pressure created by “frivolous lawsuits and ludicrous code violations” to provide “preferential treatment” to the city of Coral Gables.

A class-action lawsuit was filed on Monday against FPL, on behalf of two individuals and Florida residents who are or were without power due to Hurricane Irma. But FPL said the suit was filed by a law firm tied to Coral Gables Commissioner Frank Quesada. [Miami Herald]Grace Guarnieri


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
AIMCO founder Terry Considine and a rendering of the Grand Flamingo tower
Miami Beach board rejects Aimco’s proposal for Grand Flamingo tower
Miami Beach board rejects Aimco’s proposal for Grand Flamingo tower
Aventura Mayor Enid Weisman (Facebook via Weisman, Getty)
Aventura votes to require HOAs to submit critical reports within 48 hours
Aventura votes to require HOAs to submit critical reports within 48 hours
The current Miami Beach North Shore library with Mayor Dan Gelber (Google Maps, Gelber)
Miami Beach seeks buyers for city-owned development sites
Miami Beach seeks buyers for city-owned development sites
The partially collapsed 12-story Champlain Towers South condo building (Getty)
Inside the tug-of-war over the Surfside condo site’s future
Inside the tug-of-war over the Surfside condo site’s future
Joseph Chetrit with the Tides Hotel (Getty, Tides via Facebook)
Chetrit’s lender alleges it stole $2M insurance payout for South Beach hotel damage
Chetrit’s lender alleges it stole $2M insurance payout for South Beach hotel damage
 Adam Neumann (Getty, Bal Harbour Florida)
Ex-WeWork CEO Adam Neumann inks $44M deal for Bal Harbour properties
Ex-WeWork CEO Adam Neumann inks $44M deal for Bal Harbour properties
Alex Sapir and Giovanni Fasciano with Arte by Antonio Citterio in Surfside (Photos via Arte by Antonio Citterio/PR Newswire)
Miami penthouse sets cryptocurrency sale record: $22.5M
Miami penthouse sets cryptocurrency sale record: $22.5M
(iStock)
South Florida resi construction starts soar in March
South Florida resi construction starts soar in March
arrow_forward_ios

The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

Loading...