Two age-old homes on City Island are now landmarks

Commission has designated Booth House and Stafford House

From left: 95 Pell Street and 30 Centre Street (Credit: Landmarks Preservation Commission)
From left: 95 Pell Street and 30 Centre Street (Credit: Landmarks Preservation Commission)

A pair of historic City Island houses are now officially landmarks.

The city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission announced on Tuesday that it had designated the Samuel H. and Mary T. Booth House at 30 Centre Street and the Captain John H. Stafford House at 95 Pell Street as individual landmarks, as both provide strong examples of residential styles from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The Booth House was built between 1887 and 1893 and exemplifies the Stick style that was popular in suburban and rural cities during the late 19th century. Samuel H. Booth, a prominent contractor on City Island at the time, designed it himself, and his family owned the home until the late 1950s.

Sign Up for the undefined Newsletter

It has a wood frame and stands two-and-a-half stories tall with gabled roofs, wood clapboarding and a corner entrance porch, all of which are typical of the Stick style.

The Stafford House was a Sears “mail-order” house built in 1930 for the family of Captain John H. Stafford, a member of the City Island maritime community. It is one story tall and an example of the “Osbourne” model that Sears offered in its catalogs between 1916 and 1929. It includes front and side porches with gabled roofs and was advertised as being inspired by the “Golden West.”

Other landmarks on City Island include Public School 102, the William H. Schofield House at 65 Schofield Street and the Samuel Pell House at 586 City Island Avenue.