Cuomo extends ban on non-essential work to April 29

Separately, de Blasio confirms the city may dig temporary graves

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (Credit: Albin Lohr-Jones/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images, iStock)
Gov. Andrew Cuomo (Credit: Albin Lohr-Jones/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images, iStock)

Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday extended his statewide ban on going to non-essential workplaces through April 29.

During a press conference in Albany, the governor said his March 22 order, which forced non-essential businesses to halt in-office operations, will remain necessary for at least two additional weeks to control the spread of the coronavirus.

Since the ban took effect, the definition of what is considered essential has changed dramatically. Construction was initially exempt from the order, but the state subsequently stipulated that only work on affordable housing, healthcare facilities, utilities and transit projects — as well as emergency work — may continue. Last week, the state deemed real estate brokers essential, then clarified that property showings must be conducted virtually.

Read more

REBNY president James Whelan (Credit: iStock)
Popular
New York
Not so fast: REBNY urges agents to stay home
The announcement means residential and commercial showings can go on, albeit with at least six feet of separation between people. (Credit: iStock)
Popular
New York
Home showings allowed to resume by Cuomo administration
Are virtual showings allowed? Brokers are navigating a host of gray areas as they adjust to doing business remotely. (Credit: iStock)
Popular
New York
“Total confusion” on whether appraisals, walk-throughs, virtual showings are allowed
From left: Leonard Steinberg, Donna Olshan, Heather McDonough, Fred Peters and Bess Freedman
Residential
New York
Showing showdown: Resi brokers split on apartment tours amid pandemic

The shutdown has already led to furloughs and layoffs at the city’s largest brokerages. Some retailers have notified their landlords that they can’t afford to pay rent for the foreseeable future.

Sign Up for the undefined Newsletter

Cuomo also announced Monday that the state will double the maximum fine for violations of social distancing rules to $1,000. He reported that 122,031 people in the state have tested positive for Covid-19 and 4,758 have died.

At his own press conference Monday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said that because of the surge in deaths in recent days, bodies might be buried in temporary graves until further arrangements are made. Council member Mark Levine, a Manhattan Democrat, tweeted that a city park would be used and caskets placed in trenches 10 in a line, but de Blasio did not confirm that.

“We may well be dealing with temporary burials so we can then deal with each family later. But again, I’m just not going to detail,” the mayor said.

Pressed for specifics, he added, “It is what it says. If we need to do temporary burials to be able to tide us over to pass the crisis and then work with each family on their appropriate arrangements, we have the ability to do that.” A mayoral spokesperson later tweeted that Hart Island is being considered, but not city parks.

Write to Kathryn Brenzel at kathryn@therealdeal.com