Hadid says he’s too broke to tear down megamansion

The developer, whose mansions have sold for tens of millions, says he doesn’t have the money to demolish his controversial Bel Air spec home

TRD LOS ANGELES /
Nov.November 21, 2019 02:00 PM
Mohamed Hadid says he can’t pay to tear down his mansion (Credit: Getty Images, iStock)
Mohamed Hadid says he doesn’t have the $5 million needed to demolish his Bel Air mansion (Credit: Getty Images, iStock)

Mohamed Hadid says he can’t tear down his controversial Bel Air spec mansion as the city insists.

Why? Because the luxury developer now claims he doesn’t have the millions it would cost, according to the Daily Mail of London.

That’s the latest legal argument Hadid made through an attorney, in the years-long civil lawsuit against his 30,000-square-foot home that the city of Los Angeles says is illegal.

Hadid’s lawyer, Bruce Rudman told an L.A. County Superior Court judge that his client doesn’t have the estimated $5 million needed for demolition of the unfinished home on Strada Vecchia Road. City Attorney Mike Feuer’s office earlier this month said Hadid should tear down the building because its foundation does not meet minimum reinforcing requirements.

Hadid, father to supermodels Gigi and Bella, also says he doesn’t have the coin to pay an expected $500,000 fee to place the property in city receivership, according to the report.

Neighbors suing Hadid over the house say they aren’t buying his argument.

“We don’t accept his word for anything,” said Ariel Neuman, an attorney for the group suing, according to the Daily Mail report.

Hadid’s big real estate plays over the years have included the Le Belvedere mansion in Bel Air, which he sold for $50 million in 2010.

Hadid and the city have been battling it out in court over the spec mansion for over five years. In 2017, Hadid pleaded no contest to charges that he built the home in violation of city codes and has since torn down parts of the mansion to bring it up to code. But the city Department of Buildings and Safety told Hadid that his proposed renovations weren’t satisfactory. The developer maintains he did nothing wrong and only pleaded no contest to move forward.

He also faces an FBI investigation related to the controversial estate. [DM] — Matthew Blake


Related Articles

arrow_forward_ios
Mohamed Hadid and the mansion (Credit: Kevin Scanlon)

Court tosses Mohamed Hadid’s demolition appeal

Robert Shapiro and the home (Credit: Viewpoint Collection and Google Maps)

Bel Air property once owned by convicted Ponzi schemer Robert Shapiro sells for $60M

Simon Fuller and the home (Credit: Michael Kovac/Getty Images, and LAT/MLS)

“American Idol” creator sees $4M gain on Bel Air estate sale

(Credit: Berlyn Photography via Dirt.com)

L.A. businessperson Charles Cohen bought Makowsky’s “Billionaire” house

Mohamed Hadid (Credit: Getty Images and iStock)

Court trial, demolition day set for Mohamed Hadid spec mansion

Fawaz Alhokair is reportedly buyer behind Makowsky spec mansion (Credit: Berlyn Photography via Dirt.com)

Saudi retail magnate behind $94M Makowsy manse deal: report

A federal court judge in LA tossed out Zillow lawsuit filed by developer Bruce Makowsky (Credit: iStock)

LA judge tosses out Bruce Makowsky lawsuit against Zillow

Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli are reportedly trying to sell their Bel Air estate

Lori Loughlin, Mossimo Giannulli asking $29M for Bel Air estate

arrow_forward_ios
Loading...