New York developer pays $146M for newly built Morea Apartments in Pompano Beach

327-unit property was completed last year

Miami /
Feb.February 25, 2022 09:45 AM

Fairfield Residential’s Chairman and CEO Greg Pinkalla with Morea Apartments at 602 North Federal Highway in Pompano Beach (Morea Apartments, Fairfield Residential)

The Benjamin Companies bought the newly built Morea Apartments in Pompano Beach for $145.5 million, underscoring the robust market for multifamily investment in South Florida.

Garden City, New York-based Benjamin bought the property at 601 North Federal Highway from an entity tied to San Diego-based Fairfield Residential, according to a deed. The buyer used two affiliates, with one purchasing 80 percent of the interest in the property and the other the remaining 20 percent.

Benjamin’s affiliates also borrowed $75 million from New York Life Insurance Company for the purchase, records show.

The deal for the 327-apartment Morea breaks down to $444,954 per unit.

Fairfield paid $7.7 million for the nearly 3-acre development site in 2018, property records show. The company scored a $56.5 million construction loan in 2019 and completed the six-story building in 2021.

Morea offers studios and one- to three-bedroom units, with monthly rents ranging from $2,590 to $4,555, according to Apartments.com. The pet-friendly community includes a sixth-floor skydeck overlooking the nearby Pompano Beach Community Park.

In addition to developing apartments, Fairfield, led by Chairman and CEO Greg Pinkalla, manages properties, and has a portfolio of 40,600 units across 31 markets nationwide, according to its website.

The firm’s development projects also span the U.S. It filed an application with Culver City, California for a 362-unit luxury rental project in June.

Benjamin Companies, led by President Deborah Benjamin and CEO Denise Coyle, was founded in the 1960s with a focus on building affordable housing, and has since expanded to development and management of residential, retail and office real estate, according to its website.

The South Florida multifamily market is prospering because of high demand, allowing skyrocketing rents and promoting investment sales. 

In another recent Pompano Beach multifamily deal, Ivanhoé Cambridge bought the Avana Bayview community for $73.5 million in November, as part of a nationwide $3.6 billion rental portfolio acquisition from Greystar.





    Related Articles

    arrow_forward_ios
    Sterling Organization managing principal and CEO Brian Kosoy and Coral Landings III at 6166 and 6200 West Sample Road (Sterling Organization, LoopNet)
    Sterling drops $37M for Coral Springs shopping center anchored by Best Buy
    Sterling drops $37M for Coral Springs shopping center anchored by Best Buy
    SROA Capital's Ben Macfarland III with 000 Pembroke Road (LinkedIn, Loopnet)
    SROA Capital pays $20M for Hallandale Beach industrial-flex property
    SROA Capital pays $20M for Hallandale Beach industrial-flex property
    From left: David Huke, Alex Karakhanian, and Abraham Hidary with 1601 North Miami Avenue (LoopNet, Hidrock Properties, LNDMRK Development)
    Hidrock Properties partners with Alex Karakhanian on Miami A&E dev site
    Hidrock Properties partners with Alex Karakhanian on Miami A&E dev site
    The Boardwalk Apartments at 460, 470 and 520 East McNab Road in Pompano Beach (Apartments.com, Google Maps)
    KVR Properties pays $26M for Pompano Beach apartment complex
    KVR Properties pays $26M for Pompano Beach apartment complex
    Moderno Development managing partner Doron Broman and a rendering of Rivr Lofts (Cube 3, Moderno Development)
    Moderno nabs $102M construction loan for Fort Lauderdale apartment tower
    Moderno nabs $102M construction loan for Fort Lauderdale apartment tower
    From left: Prestige Companies COO Alexander Ruiz, CEO Marty Caparros, and partner Dennis Rodriguez (Prestige Companies, Compass)
    Prestige JV pays $15M for Salvation Army site in Hialeah, plans 112 rentals
    Prestige JV pays $15M for Salvation Army site in Hialeah, plans 112 rentals
    Cabot Properties' Franz Colloredo-Mansfeld with Miramar Centre Business Park (Cabot, iStock) Lease, Logistics
    Lease roundup: Ryder Logistics leases 150K sf at Miramar Centre Business Park
    Lease roundup: Ryder Logistics leases 150K sf at Miramar Centre Business Park
    Joseph Chetrit and a rendering of 2629 North Riverside Drive (Getty)
    Chetrit scores $94M construction loan for oceanfront condo project in Pompano
    Chetrit scores $94M construction loan for oceanfront condo project in Pompano
    arrow_forward_ios

    The Deal's newsletters give you the latest scoops, fresh headlines, marketing data, and things to know within the industry.

    Loading...